Recommend a New Laptop?

Real Name
John
Asus is a great brand. I'm currently writing this from a 3 1/2 year old Asus Laptop.

Good. Let us know how you get on with it.

Just an update - The laptop was delivered a few hours ago, and I've installed Lightroom and PS CS5 successfully. I haven't loaded any photos yet, but i think that both apps will run great!

One question - I keep getting a pop-up asking me whether I want to update various files from Asus. (These do not appear to be Windows updates). I'm not sure whether to give the go-ahead on downlaoding/installing these updates.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for all the help!

Real Name
John
Just an update - The laptop was delivered a few hours ago, and I've installed Lightroom and PS CS5 successfully. I haven't loaded any photos yet, but i think that both apps will run great!

One question - I keep getting a pop-up asking me whether I want to update various files from Asus. (These do not appear to be Windows updates). I'm not sure whether to give the go-ahead on downlaoding/installing these updates.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for all the help!

The updates are usually a combination of Asus Software (Most of it you won't use) and maybe some drivers. The updates are a good idea but be aware that it has changed the wi-fi settings on mine (easy click to change back).

The updates are usually a combination of Asus Software (Most of it you won't use) and maybe some drivers. The updates are a good idea but be aware that it has changed the wi-fi settings on mine (easy click to change back).

John,

Before I go ahead and run these Asus updates, I want to be sure that they won't screw anything up.

Can you elaborate on how they changed your Wifi settings and exactly how you "clicked to change back"?

Also, I assume that I can simply uninstall any unwanted Asus software resulting from these updates, right?

BTW - Which model laptop do you have?

Thanks!

Real Name
John
John,

Before I go ahead and run these Asus updates, I want to be sure that they won't screw anything up.

Can you elaborate on how they changed your Wifi settings and exactly how you "clicked to change back"?

Also, I assume that I can simply uninstall any unwanted Asus software resulting from these updates, right?

BTW - Which model laptop do you have?

Thanks!

It basically turned the wi-fi off in the Wireless Console Software. It sits in the task bar so I just had to click on it to change it. You should be able to uninstall the software without any problems.

I have an M51vm.

It basically turned the wi-fi off in the Wireless Console Software. It sits in the task bar so I just had to click on it to change it. You should be able to uninstall the software without any problems.

I have an M51vm.

John.

Just to sure (I'm a bit anal when it comes to installing 'bloatware-type" stuff onto my computer....), "Asus Live Update" is asking me to install the following:

ASUS Live Update Utility
AI Recovery Utility
ASUS FancyStart Utility
WebCam Utility
SmartLogon Utility
Asus Splendid Video Enhancer
Asus Virtual Camera Utility
Windows BIOS Flash Utility

The only one with a checkbox checked by default is Asus Live Update Utility.

I'm just wondering whether any of these are needed or even beneficial. When I read words like "Smart", Fancy" and "Enhancer", it gives me pause. I just don't want any of it to conflict with what's already working.

Is this the stuff that your laptop asked you to install too? And did you install them all, then remove what you didn't want?

Thanks again.

Real Name
John
They were already pre-installed on my laptop. If they're not installed, I wouldn't install them unless you want them. The webcam software may come in handy if you don't already have webcam software.

Latest threads

Top Bottom