Recommend me a camera backpack...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I did a search, but nothing came up.

Anyways, I'm looking for a camera backpack for under $200. Any recommendations? I want something that can hold several lenses, bodies and a laptop.

Thanks!

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. You can't go wrong with Lowepro. I have four different models (keep changing my needs).

Rich

4. http://www.crumplerbags.com/home.php

Check out this site. Look at the bag they call Brian's hot tub.

Good stuff!

Chet

5. Hi Chet,

Do you have one of these bags? I like the look and style. I also like the fact that they don't look like camera bags to deter thieves. Anyways, how do they compare to tamrac and lowerpro bags?

Unfortunately I'm going have to order online and can't see them in person.

6. Hey, you are quick! I don't have one, but wish I did. I've seen them and they are very well made.

Isn't their site a hoot?

Chet

7. Their site rocks! I'd buy the bag just to support them. I want to pass by the camera store and check one out!

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
  9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Have a look around for the LLBean Bob Krist camera bag. It's a great compromise to fit several lenses, a laptop, some filters, etc.

You can open the bag when it's over your shoulder an pull out a camera attached to a 70-200mm lens without any problem.

Unfortunately, LLBean has ceased to carry and make this bag, but there are some floating around. I actually bought another when I heard it was being discontinued so that I'd have a spare.

John P.

10. Another alternative...

www.kinesisgear.com

I am a quite happy user. I used this for a Seahawk game I shot in Decmember, carrying a D2H on a monopod with a 500mm lens, my D70 with the 80-200 mounted, and the kit lens in a pouch. Lot's of room for extra batteries, rain-gear, it is Seattle after all, CF cards, etc.. I did this with the belt only. When I go out to shoot birds I attach a Lowe S&F Vest to help distribute the weight when I am walking. There are a couple of things I like about this over the backpack I used to have. The first is that I don't have to take the pack off to get to my gear, it is easy to reach. The second is that it is very easy to distribute the weight. And if I need a laptop with me, that can easily be accomodated in a backpack or over-the-shoulder bag.

I have one of the Crumpler bags, which is quite nice. My complaint is that it is quite "stiff", tough to just stuff extra bits in. But it is very well built.

Check out the Kinesis site, they are great folks to speak with if you have questions.

11. Well I just ordered the Crumpler Brian's Hot Tub bag. I just like the fact that it doesn't look like a camera bag. It also has some style to it! :)

12. When you get, please let us know how you like it. I'm interested to know if you can stuff two bodies in it with the 70-200VR on one of them.

Chet

13. When it comes in, I'll do a full review. I'm just a sucker though for cool looking stuff. Plus I'm tired of the standard camera bags. It's just a calling card for thieves when it has Lowerpro, Tamrac, etc. stitched on the bag!

14. Make sure your review includes pictures!! :D :D :D

15. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Good choice on the Crumpler. I have 2 right now & they are great. The other bags that have my attention are the new backpacks from Kata. I've not seen one in person, but I've read some great reviews.

Dave

16. Chet, that CRUMPLER site is the most fun site that I know. Each time you connect to that site you have a different personnage that appears, The song sometime ressemble a french song.