recommend me a flash unit

really not a flash guy, but am going to have to use some in the coming months, off camera, I do have some Elichrome triggers

no way Im buying a SB910 for $550 for my limited use

what is a decent unit to get, doesn't have to be i-TTL
and I assume all ( most) units will have the plug for the trigger receiver ?

TIA

Just bought a yongnuo 560 iii and love it, had a built in trigger for their 602/603 but had a pc port as well. Under 100 on amazon, and is full manual. If you want ttl then the 560ex ii

Get a SB-700 or SB-800 used for around $250 (look on FM or KEH) and you are set. TTL, Manual, SU-4, rock solid and 100% compatible.

had a SB 800
could figure that silly thing out at all

does the SB 700 have the synch cord plug ?

I didn't like (hated) the UI on the SB-800 too and AFAIK the SB-700 does not have a PC jack. I use SB-900's on camera right now - very simple UI, PC jacks, and except for the thermal shutdown (I have it turned off on both of mine) they are fantastic. They are around $300 used.

yeah the SB900 seems the "smart" choice I guess

WFT is a 910 $550 ?

ridiculous

lol

thanks Chad

That's why I am still using the SB-900's. I have no idea what Nikon was collectively smoking when they priced the 910's.

Here's another vote for the SB-800. Flexible. Powerful. Priced right (used for $200-$250) and a solid proven performer -- especially if you aren't going to use flash very much.

I agree the user interface of the 800's isn't exactly intuitive, but once you spend a little time with it, you will be amazed at the quality and consistency of the light is really very good. Give the 800 a second chance.

I used SB-800's for quite a while. I got fairly good at navigating the weird interface, but still had to carry the manual in my bag.

I eventually sold them all and replaced them with three SB-700s. Best move I've ever made. The user interface is simple to the point that I don't need a manual to operate them and I've never had problems with the reduced power. They also operate perfectly with Yongnuo triggers or Pocketwizards (I have both). They don't have the PC inputs, but I've never needed them.

I have both the SB-800 and the SB-910.

Love them both.

If you go for the 800 it is worth using the fifth battery for quicker recycling, even in general use.

The 910 is (probably) the most accurate flash I have ever used.

DG

I would go for the SB700, if it had a jack for a radio trigger receiver

I have the SB-800's as well, but around here, they are going for around $300 each usually used. You can sometimes find a deal around $250 around here, but it's not as common anymore.

Ill second the Yongnuo 560. If your looking for off camera, limited use and no TTL then you cant go wrong spending £50 unless you really need the features of a higher model. Ive got one and ive also got the 565EX for on camera useage and so far ive never had issues.

Agree with the Yongnuo posts! Don't turn your nose up at em cuz they're "cheap Chinese" flashes. These things are powerful, durable, and most importantly repeatable! Off camera flash should really be done with manual exposure anyway and these Yongnuos are great for that. They're so inexpensive they're practically disposable. They're cheap enough you can buy several and put then anywhere you want without worrying that your $500 flash is in harms way! No brainer.

I'm afraid that I am a bit of an SB-910 addict?

It's probably the most accurate flash I have ever owned and coupled with my newly acquired D600 is just fabulous.

I also kept my SB-800 and it is now left on Remote permanently.

For someone like Mark who "probably" also carries an iPad or similar, there is the Nikon Manuals App which allows you to carry all of those doorstop-sized Manuals in the iPad.

DG

Got me a SB700 for $275.
Lady bought it for outdoor photography she took it back when she realized she was not using it.

I got mine at a local camera shop.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom