Recommend me a monopod!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 16, 2005.

1. I don't want to spend much, just something that doesn't look or feel cheap, but isn't so expensive just for an expandable stick!

Any good recommendation? :biggrin:

2. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I have been using the Feisol 1401 with a Bogen 3232 head for a while and I really like it. It is CF, light and sturdy. Check out www.feisol.com for more info.

3. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Since you like hugging the babes

You clearly need the Manfrotto 682 self-supporting monopod so that you can let it go and grab hold.....:wink:

Plus it is a great light-stand for an SB800 when you are hand-holding the camera (or something else, ahem....).

4. A good choice is the G-1564 Gitzo G1564 Monopod for 120.00. rated to support 17.5 pounds and is intended for proffesional reporters.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I don't use a monopod that much, but I have a Bogen tilt head (no pan) on a Walmart special. The pod was about $30, came with a sleeve-type carrying bag and works just fine.

6. Hi Jonathan,
    I can tell you what I have:
    Monopod: Manfrotto 680B (black - but of course!!). Inexpensive, very sturdy, great ergonomics, carries my D1x with AF 300 f:2.8 very easily, did I mention inexpensive? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Head: I use the 352RC ballhead with it. I like a versatile, solid, omnidirectional, quick-adjust head on my monopod. This one does it all and is - you guessed it - inexpensive.

I am very pleased with this set-up and use it a lot (outdoors nature stuff, multi-hours sports events etc.).

You could spend a whole lot more but you would be hard pressed to get better value for your money. (Mind you, I am a bit of an oddball: I still use a D1x, am very happy with it and don't even think of getting something else...:eek: :eek: :eek: ).

Good luck with your 'pod hunt, Jonathan :smile:

7. I use the manfrotto 679B... no head yet, so I use the 70-200 VR's tripod foot direct.
    Supports a lot...B&H quotes it as 22 pounds capacity. Basically limited by your head unless you get one ofthe heavy duty ones.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I also use the 679. About 50 bucks at B&H. I also use the Manfrotto 3232 swivel head with a Arca-Swiss clamp, just to mount a Sidekick. Holds the D2H / 300 2.8 with no problems.

9. Thanks you guys! I just bought a 682B from bhphoto! I got it to support my new 120-300 sigma! :biggrin:

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like an excellent choice Jonathan. :smile:

11. marc

marc Guest

very good choice, i have one for a long time and really like it

the legs are good although not rock steady, you need to hold on

enjoy it