Recommendation needed: External USB dvd burner

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by whyhan, Sep 15, 2008.

1. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Anyone care to share their experience/recommendation?
    Will be used mostly for archiving purpose. Non bluray. Dual layer preferably.
    Thanks in advance :smile:

2. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Nobody here uses an external burner? :frown:

3. MrCupHolder

MrCupHolder

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    Don't use DVD's for archiving

I use an internal burner.

But I DO NOT use it for archival purposes.
    Unfortunately the layer on burnt dics (CD's, DVD's and I'm sure blue ray too) breaks down over time losing all your data.

Just to make a point.

When people talk about "archiving" they usually mean that the medium they store the files to will be the ONLY medium the files are stored on. When they "back files up" it means they have another working copy of the files somewhere.

Just to speak from personal experience I have about 50 cd's of "archived" files. I have had them stored in a dark area and a while back I came to look through those discs again. I found a few of those discs no longer worked. These discs are about 5 years old.

I now have 2 large hard drives setup in a mirrored fashion and all files are stored on there. I only back up to DVD.

As far as making a recommendation for what media to use to archive with it is hard to say. In this ever evolving electronic age you have the problem that in "x" years time you may not be able to find a drive to read the medium you have chosen to archive to. This means that every now and again you will have to update the medium you use to archive to and also to move all your archived files accross to the new medium.

DVD's are certainly a cheap way to go. Just be prepared you may lose one or two and with that in mind I'd suggest making two copies of each disc.

Just my 2c

4. I have a Sony drive bought couple of years ago. It works fine, if a little slow though due to usb/firewire connection. Occasionally its finicky watching some movies - playback of rented movies that is. It comes with some version of Nero. I have digitized 8mm home movies onto DVD with success. YMMV