recommendations for photo printer

I don't need 20x30 prints, just maybe up to 11x14.
I currently have a Canon I960, and it's pretty good, but is there something better? What about Epson?
Thanks

-Jeff

Jeff,
I use an i9900 Canon. It has the two extra print colors, true green and red. 8 cartridges in all. It is awsome and prints up to 13x19. I can let it sit for two months and not print and the heads do not clog. :D Not so with an epson, from what I hear. I have been very pleased with canon printers. Had the i850 before this one. I have the read the most recent epsons may be pretty good, too. Frank 8)

Epson R1800. Fantastic printer. I used the R800 before that for a year and no problems with clogging. Just consistently great prints.

B

bpetterson

Epson 1280 can be had at www.atlex.com for #359.00
up to 13x19.
From there the Epson 2200 up to 13x19.

The newer Epsons ie 1800 should be great.

The new pro out is the 4800 at 17 x depends on roll.
This is with the new K3 inks.

The 1270 or the 1280 should do you just fine.

My only experience is with Epson.

Birger

Canon i9900

Canon i9900. Great printer - super prints . Quick, quiet and cheaper than Epson.

Beside - it's a Canon - so it must be great huh?

Even Michael Reichmann, who's an unapologetic, unrepentant in-the-bag Canon lacky, goes strictly Epson when it comes to printers.

And I'm totally enchanted with the R1800 myself. After being totally amazed by the 1280.

The 1800 uses archival inks, which I had to switch to because I couldn't see selling prints that weren't archival.

Mike

I used several Canon printers before switching to Epson. I now have an Epson 2200 and love it. The Canons continually had clogged head problems and after a full year of moderate use I haven't had a single clog problem with the Epson. Plus the Epsons use archival inks, as my friend Mike Worley pointed out. Finally, the prints are simply stunning and the printer profiles are available free from Epson's website.

Joe

B

bpetterson

I broke down and ordered an Epson 4800 with pro bundle last nite.

I read a blog that alerted me.

http://www.magicpixel.com.au/epson4800blog/

A photo at the end of the blog shows a picture of his placement of the 4800 in his attic. No steps but a ladder.

My D2X should be happy to see some 16x20 prints.
Well will try the D2H and the D1X as well.

For Joe;
Did you get the Hoodman that I sent you??

Birger

Epson 2200 is fabulous IF you prefer matte and luster (Ilford Smooth Pearl is great and glossy enough for my tastes because I never liked that "wet" glossy look). The 2200 won't do gloss well due to gloss differential (you an see the difference in ink at an angle compared to white areas without any ink). I've been using the 2200 with ImagePrint RIP for neutral B&W prints (otherwise you get a color cast using the Epson driver), better shadow detail and dither, and WONDERFUL paper profiles (easier to get in gamut prints with their profiles).

The new 2400 (already shipping) has the K3 inks as Birger mentioned - probably the best all around printer if B&W is important to you (prints B&W using only the black inks - Black, light black and light light black). No real need for a RIP. Handles gloss better due to improved inks.

I have the new 4800 on order and can't wait (early June ETA). :)

I

IxLr8

R1800 really works for me. The quality of the print is fabulous. I didn't want somthing that will break the bank cause if I usually send my stuff out if I want to print bigger that 13".

M

magicpixel

From my time with the 4800 I think this new series of Epson printers are exceptional all-round machines. Great B&W & color - finally we're getting back to where we were before this whole inkjet/digital era began :)

But I would NOT recommend carrying a 4800 up a free standing aluminium ladder into an attic. That is just plain silly :)

Pete
http://www.magicpixel.com.au

cwilt said:
R1800 and R800 for me. I am very pleased with the luster and glossy prints from the R1800.
cwilt,

I also have the R800 and love it. Any difference between the R800 and the new R1800? I assume the only difference is the paper size capability...

C

I'll add my 2cents about my Epsons: I love the R800 and will get the R1800 (after a couple lens that I need). I also have a pair of 1280's that I use for cards and things that don't have to be archival.

L

B

bpetterson

magicpixel said:
From my time with the 4800 I think this new series of Epson printers are exceptional all-round machines. Great B&W & color - finally we're getting back to where we were before this whole inkjet/digital era began :)

But I would NOT recommend carrying a 4800 up a free standing aluminum ladder into an attic. That is just plain silly :)

Pete
http://www.magicpixel.com.au

Pete Walsh;
Your Blog on the Epson 4800 is what convinced me.
If somebody can haul it up to your Photo Work Room
in the attic via a ladder, it must be worth looking into.

One of the things that held me back was the depth of 30 inches.
But thanks to you or your daughters photo of the 4800 in the attic
I figure that with the drawer out the depth will decrease to maybe
28 inches.
Got to get it through doorways ya know.

At present I have the 1270 and the 2200 which still perform.

I will keep checking your Blog.
I thank you for doing this Blog.

http://www.magicpixel.com.au/epson4800blog/

Birger

Me Too

I have owned Epson 1100, 1520, 1160, 1280, and 2200 ( I don't think I have forgotten any of them) and plan on buying a 4800 when I get back from a trip. The 2200 produces magnificient prints (after getting it set up properly) with the latest Epson profiles and drivers and requires minimal maintenance. In two + years, I think I have run the nozzle cleaning one time.

L

LarryJacobson

I have to also cast my vote for the Epsons. I've had the 1270 and currently have two 1280s and and 4000 and am very pleased with them.

Each have their strenghs and weaknesses regarding ink longevity, costs, paper preferences, color profiles, etc.

In general, however there are many good resources available to help you get the most out of the printer.

Good luck in your quest.

Thanks for the replies.

I will check out Epson printers. Their reputation is pretty strong. I also like the point about their archieval inks and papers.

M

magicpixel

Your Blog on the Epson 4800 is what convinced me.
If somebody can haul it up to your Photo Work Room
in the attic via a ladder, it must be worth looking into.

One of the things that held me back was the depth of 30 inches.
But thanks to you or your daughters photo of the 4800 in the attic
I figure that with the drawer out the depth will decrease to maybe
28 inches.
Got to get it through doorways ya know.

Thanks Birger, glad you are enjoying it! It's been fun. I think that was the hardest part for me- fitting it through the doorway while up on the ladder.

Really though it's a beautiful piece of equipment. It's nice to finally see this level of printing return to photography.

Pete

Latest threads

Top Bottom