1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Recommendations for Texas Wildflowers?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by dspeed, Apr 3, 2007.

1. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Hi!

Traveling West to East (mostly on or near I-10) 4/11, then East to West across Texas, 4/12 - 4/13 with more options. Would like to plan a couple of stops to capture some of the wildflowers.

Have a nodding acquaintance w the Hill Country and may try to stop in Austin to have lunch w a friend.

Any favorite spots you'd care to share?

Dave

2. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    One of my friends is doing training in Johnson City right now. I had planned to be out there but changed jobs :) 

Anyway, he said the bluebonnets are in full splendor. JC is about 1.5 hrs WSW of Austin and lots of open areas around to catch the flowers (and lots of deer)

3. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    If you're going to be in Austin, there should be plenty of opportunity for you to find wildflowers to the south and west of there. We have found several spots here in San Antonio.

These pics are a week old now and the bluebonnets were starting to come on. With all the rain and warm weather, they'll really be out now.
    433147430_5af3921f51_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 88216

4. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Thanks - I've been through JC a few times. Sounds like a winner.

(I picked this week 2 months in advance hoping I'd hit around the peak...)

Dave

5. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    So has the cold snap spoiled the wildflowers, or are they frost tolerant?

6. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Well, from what I saw of wildflowers on the way to church this morning, everything looked to be ok. However, I live on the northwest side of the city, and we never got to freezing last night, but there was some sleet for a while. Just north of town it did freeze, so I'm not sure how they fared out there. The good news is that the weather reports are showing a return to more normal temps this week.

7. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Carlsbad May Have Been Spared <g>

I don't see any of my small grape sized peaches on the ground today.

Looks like we lucked out for a change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.