Recommendations for using Better Beemer?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Steve S, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I must admit, I've had one for quite some time, but really have no clue how to set my SB800 when I use it. Believe me when I tell you, I've tried every possible setting I can think of on the SB. Right now, I have it set to iTTl, and -1EV. Anybody got any good tips?

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Mike, but I'v already read that, and really didn't get that much out of it, except that setting an SB28 to it's widest setting gives you the most concentrated beam.... aimed about 3 deg too low. :confused: Nothing about using it with an SB800. There's gotta be more info on how to use this thing!

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Can anyone else offer any insights for using the Better Beemer with an SB800?

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Steve,

I've used the BB with my SB-800 for a number of months with some success, but was concerned about the apparent 'droop' of the flash with the BB attached. Well, I was shooting at the Guntersville dam a few weeks ago, in very foggy and dark conditions, and was amazed by what I saw. I fisherman caught a big bass, and I asked him to hold it up so I could get a shot. When I looked at the image in my LCD, I was very surprised to see that his legs were very well illuminated, but his upper body (and the fish) were not illuminated at all.

Based on this, I folded up a piece of paper and put it under the elastic band that holds the BB side pieces in place. This is not a very precise solution, but it definitely cleared up the problem in this case. I now use this 'calibrated' piece of paper whenever I use the BB.

As to settings, I use the TTL/BL/FP mode (whatever that means), and adjust the flash EV comp based on the distance to the subject (higher for distant subjects, lower for those that are close). This seems to be working very well.

I don't know if this addresses all (or even any for that matter :rolleyes:) of your questions, but it does relate my own experiences with this set-up. Hope it helps some. :smile:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I also read about the apparent "droop" and also rigged up a "calibrated" piece of folded paper to compensate for this problem. Now, if I could just figure out what all this BL and FP business meant :confused:

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yes Paul, that definitely does shed some "light" on the subject, and makes my understanding of the system more "clear". Now, after I've readi it about 5 times, and absorbed this thoroughly, I think it'll all sink in!