1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Recommended Bag Please

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by davewolfs, Jul 27, 2008.

1. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new bag to hold my gear. When hiking I'm a huge fan of the Think Tank Modular system. Although, wearing this in public gets a lot of funny looks :) 

I'm not a fan of pure backpacks and am not too concerned about having too much padding.

I think my preference would be either a shoulder style bag or some sort of sling pack.

I've done some research and so far what I am looking at is.

National Geographic NG-2475
    Domke F2 or F6 (Not sure if the F6 is too small)
    Kata 3N1-20.

I'd like to be able to hold D700 with 24-70 mounted, 105VR and 17-35. Additionally I'd like to be able to carry an SB-800, some small Macro RC1 flashes and a pouch of Lee Filters.

Any recommendations on the above bags or other suggestions?

Cheers,

Dave

2. There's a big difference between a backback and shoulder bag, but in case you're interested in the latter, I saw a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 the other day and was very impressed with it's capacity and quick access. A smaller version might be enough for you.

Really, there are almost too many bags to choose from. You might have to think about narrowing your parameters a bit.

Gary

3. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    How about the Domke F3x or F4AF, have any of you used either of these bags?

4. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    Me too i need a bag that is under 60 bucks. I want a easy to use and reliable the lowpro fastpack 100 is cool is their any similiar models to this one and cheaper? Backpack recommended.

5. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Thanks for hijacking my thread :)  I can sell you a backpack if you would like.

6. Domke F3-X

I picked up one of these used, and I find it more comfortable than my only other bag, the Lowepro Slingshot 200. It doesn't have a lot of padding, and conforms to your body nicely, while holding an amazing amount of gear for the size. In the main pocket I have a 2 pocket divider, and it creates essentially 2 smaller padded pockets that fit lenses without their hoods mounted (such as a 35-70 and my Tokina 12-24), my D50 body with any lens I've got mounted on it, and another big pocket for a rocket blower, my hoods, an extra lens, and a flash. There are 2 big side pockets that as well as a thinner front pocket. One side pocket can hold my sb-80dx flash and, say, a sunglasses case.

Some things about the bag I like--
    Great capacity to size ratio
    Low-profile
    Domke straps have rubber sewn in along the entire length, so it does not slip, doesn't need padding, and is remarkably comfortable even when loaded up
    Easy access to all gear at once, as opposed to my sling-pack
    Theoretically very water resistant due to treatment of the canvas, although I have not tested this beyond some sprinkles

Nitpicks--
    Only one small zipped pocket for memory cards and such, the rest is just flaps with either velcro or metal clips that can be a little hard to open
    Know that things will slosh around a bit, and there is no side padding; this is what keeps it small relative to it's capacity; not the best if you like to keep your gear in LNIB condition forever
    It would be nice if the lens dividers were a bit wider, allowing me to keep the Tokina and Sigma hoods I have reverse mounted

I last used this on a little trip to the zoo, carrying my D50, 35mm f/2, 85mm f/1.8, Tokina 12-24, hood, flash, rocket blower in the main pocket, sunglasses in one outer pocket, and a P&S in the other, with plenty of room to spare, standing on a completely packed city bus in Chicago. It just wraps around your body when people are packed tightly.

Woops, just read the gear you listed. The D700 with 24-70 mounted is bigger than my stuff. I have carried a D50 with my old (I miss it dearly) 180 f/2.8 mounted, lens facing down and LCD up for an easy grab, set up as I described above. Alternatively, you could probably put a 2-lens divider at one end of the bag, and lay out your camera-lens combo horizontally with enough room, but it may be harder to grap quickly than with the LCD pointing up at you. The opening at the top of the bag is a little smaller than its base. Your 17-35 and 105 VR should fit in the lens divider, but probably not with hoods reverse mounted. SB-800 in one side pocket, other stuff in the other pocket.

Good luck on the quest for a bag,
    Matt

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  7. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    I am a huge Think Tank fan and wanted something smaller than my Airport Antidote to use as a day pack for macro work. I've just bought an Urban Disguise 40 and wish I'd bought something slightly larger - I was a little disappointed. My D300 is a really tight squeeze face down with lens attached - I don't feel very confident taking it out of the bag as it's an awkward grip. There is no way a D700 would fit unless it was body only and you put it in sideways. If the UD40 was maybe two inches wider it would be perfect.

8. The Domke F6 is deceptive. It can carry way more than you might expect.

9. edhu

edhu

Jul 21, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Lowepro slingshot 300 is good fit 4 u.

10. Dave,

The Domke F6 is too small for my liking. I have a D300 plus three lens in there but it's a tight fit with lens attached to the camera. I don't want to detach the lens from the body. If you don't mind removing the lens and putting the body cap on each time then the F6 would work ok. Here's a link to one open to see inside.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186921-REG/Domke_700_60D_F_6_Little_Bit_Smaller.html

I wish pictures online would show bags / packs open so to help judge avaliable space.

I'm looking for a larger bag which can be carried either like a back pack or shoulder bag.

MikeT

11. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    This one gets my vote. I used this in Charleston recently, bought specifically for the the trip, and was extremely happy with the performance. We got stuck in a downpour, and had to make a run for the hotel. I was so worried that everything in the bag would be trashed. When I took off the AW cover at the hotel, everything was dry as a bone. Although I don't recommend running through a downpour with your camera gear, I was sold on this bag. It's more than $60.00, but the replacement cost was a whole lot more than that. Better safe than sorry.

BTW- If I remember: The pack contained a D300 with grip, 17-55 mounted, Sigma 30, 50 1.4, Sigma 50-150, 105 VR, and a 80-400 VR in the top zipper compartment. And yes, it was a little heavy.

My 2 cents.

12. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly

Mar 22, 2008
    Cincinnati
    I have my D700 in a UD30 with a 24-70 mounted (hood doesn't even have to be reversed) and a 105VR to the side.. It is tight (especially if you don't reverse the hood) but does fit. I will never buy another brand bag besides Think Tank.

13. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Well I ended up ordering an F3X and a J3.

I'm going to decide between the two. I'm super impressed so far with the F3X, It can easily hold a D700 with 24-70 (Hood Reverse), a 105VR or 17-35, SB800, my other macro flashes, all my Lee filter puches and then some.

If I really want, I can even squeeze the camera with 24-70 mounted + the other lenses.

I'll let you know how the J3 is when I receive it. Thanks for the help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.