Recommended Camera Bag for Sports Photography Gear

Real Name
Richard Ella
I have now finished my my GAS and have built up my Sports Photography kit. Well nearly, I may have to get one more body :)

My main kit will be :-
  • Nikon D750 (plus probably one more body)
  • Nikon 300mm f2.8 VRI
  • Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII
  • Nikon 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 G
  • TC14EII
  • TC17EII
  • Spare batteries

In addition I have the
  • Nikon 50mm f1.8G
  • Nikon 85mm f1.8G

I would really like help to choose a camera backpack that that will accommodate my main kit. I'm a bit OCD about having the smallest bag possible that would accommodate my main kit as I hate carrying huge bags.

I like the look of the Think Tnak Airport Essential and the Think Tank Airport Commuter. I would really welcome any first hand experiential feedback on these bags and any other bags that you use to carry a similar kit. Of priority is that I can fit my 300mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 together.

Although I like ThinkTank products in general, they tend to be on the heavy side. I prefer the Gura Gear bags, unless you insist on getting something with wheels.
I have the Kiboko, but one of the Bataflaes might suit you better:
http://www.guragear.com/bataflae/
Yup, the bataflae or the Kiboko. Both are highly customizable and the butterfly flap design is nice. There are some good YouTube video reviews. FYI You might be able to get a deal on a GuraGear because they are adopting the Tamrac brand name. Perhaps they may close out their GuraGear branded items still in inventory. Just a guess.

I have the Think Tank Airport Accelerator (TTAA). It is the next step up after the Airport Commuter. It is probably too large for your tastes, but it handled a 300 f/2.8 VR1, D3/D800E, 70-200 VR, 17-35 f/2.8 and accessories easily. Really great case, as all TT cases seem to be. One problem for me was not the fault of TT, quite the contrary; the TTAA has the ability to store too much weight for my old back to deal with. So I've upgraded to the Airport Security (TTAS) roller. Very happy with the roller except one area. Most if not all TT cases open longways with the hinge at the bottom. This means you have a long flap to roll back lengthwise. With the smaller TT cases, this isn't big issue and it wasn't that noticeable with the back pack. With the much bigger TTAS this is a bit awkward. Otherwise, the quality and construction are first rate.

If you want to keep bag size to a minimum, and protect your gear well, I'd suggest the Airport Commuter. I like a bit of space to put additional padding around my lenses, so that a bump on the case side isn't directly transferred to the lenses lying tight against the sides or each other. I also want to be able to add smaller items like media in watertight media cases. You may also find you want to bring along a speedlight at times, so a touch extra space in the Commuter gives you that option without getting too large. I suggest going to youtube and doing a search for the bags you think will work. Lots of videos related to packing and use of TT cases and backpacks, as well as the other brands.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The GuraGura 32L and the TT Airport Accelerator weight the same but are too large for you. I highly recommend the TT bags. I've sometimes over-weighted mine and used it for both car and international travel since 2008......and it is still almost like new!!!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom