Reconditioning a Nikon lens hood

Has anyone ever reconditioned a lens hood?

I just received a very nice refurbished lens from Nikon. It is a shame though, the lens hood which is rare, has many scuffs on it. No dents or dings, just surface scuffs that will not rub out.

Thanks,

Mike

Thank you.

I am looking to possibly recondition my present hood, not buy a new one. Just wondering if any know of someone who does this, or of a proceedure to sand and paint.

More than likely this is something that would not make sense time-wise. Unless, you have a rare hood like mine, Nikon HB-17 for the 80-200AF-S.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2073&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

Don't misunderstand, the hood is fine and works OK...just want to make it pristine:smile:

mike

Last edited by a moderator:

fks

hi mike-

i have a few hoods with scuffs, but they're on the outside and don't really bother me much. i've considered spray painting the whole hood, but i'd be interested if you can find another solution.

BTW, that is a ridiculous price for a hood :eek:

ricky

how about a car detailer. ;) Actually, a classic/antique auto plastics restoration place could be your best hope. but spray on coatings rarely stick very well, that's your basic problem. Plastic in general gets brittle with age, it becomes likely harder to work with as it ages. But there are some amazing restortion processes out there, just have to look around.

I did some fix up to my HB-17 a few years ago. It doesn't really look pristine and I wasn't taking a lot of time, either. I used flat black on the inside, semi-gloss on the outside. Make sure you use paint that is compatible with plastic, if you don't the solvents can melt the hood.

You can buy paint in a spray bomb specifically designed for restoring black rubber bumper strips for 70's/80's vehicles. I just sprayed the trunk in my car with black paintable rocker gaurd and it has a slight spatter texture in a low sheen black. There are also paints designed to renew plastic patio chairs but black could be tough to find. These might be worth considering but as previously stated test a small hidden area first to ensure it is compatible....

Cheers

Ted:smile:

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the post. I too have a pristine 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S that I found here in Chicago from a dealer. It came with the funkiest looking hood on it. It looks like whoever had the hood had taped something around it. It is definitely not the hood that belongs to the lens because the lens is really like new all over. I have tried everything to get the white marks off from whatever it was that was taped over the hood. It will not come off.

And of course you cannot find this hood, the HB-17, anywhere. And I am not about to pay some crazy price for one even if I did find one like new. I have seen other posts where they say the 70-200mm AF-S G hood will work on this lens. That might be the cheaper option if I find that I just cannot live with my funky hood.:smile:

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the post. I too have a pristine 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S that I found here in Chicago from a dealer. It came with the funkiest looking hood on it. It looks like whoever had the hood had taped something around it. It is definitely not the hood that belongs to the lens because the lens is really like new all over. I have tried everything to get the white marks off from whatever it was that was taped over the hood. It will not come off.

And of course you cannot find this hood, the HB-17, anywhere. And I am not about to pay some crazy price for one even if I did find one like new. I have seen other posts where they say the 70-200mm AF-S G hood will work on this lens. That might be the cheaper option if I find that I just cannot live with my funky hood.:smile:

Did it look something like this(image thanks to Uncle Frank)

http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/image/64463677/original.jpg

you can very easily modify the hb-27 from the 70-200 af-s to work with the lens. Actually without modification it works well on the lens, just doesnt stay clicked , but it does click a little.

It's a hood, don't get too stressed. When I got my 400 f2.8 AFS-I it had gaffers tape residue all over the hood. I razor bladed and sanded and all I ended up with was a white, rock hard solid embedded on the hood. Trip to ACE, 5 bucks for a black wrinkle spray paint, five minutes with 2 really light applications and done. No it won't fool anyone here if I tried to pass it off as original, untouched, but it looks fine...and far better than it did with the gaffers tape gunk on it.

GooGone works well on tape residual and seems to be plastic friendly. Just check on a hidden area first to be sure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom