Recording discussions at a gallery- technical question

I am on our local county art board.
We have 15 or so juried competitions a year in several galleries. Each show has a judging and critique given by the judge, which lasts about an hour.
I am going to propose we record these conversations and link them on our new website so they would be available to all artists that could not be present.
Before I propose this, I would like to have the technical issues solved, so the board discussions do not bog down about how we are going to do it.
I will be donating any needed equipment.
I tried similar recordings on my phone and they simply were not clear enough.
I was thinking of a small digital recorder with a good non directional mic that can just be set up near the center of the discussion.
It has to be easy, as I am only at about 50% of these discussions so someone else needs to be able to setup and go.
I would prefer not to "mic up" the judge, as I do not want this to be a "thing" or change the present dynamics.
Any thoughts? I think any of the small digital recorders can record without an issue, but I am not sure what type of microphone to go with.
Has anyone done similar recording in the past? What worked for you?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Gary

When I was on the board of a local nonprofit organization, for years we used a tape recorder and then finally emerged into the digital era. The organization purchased a small digital recorder that had sufficient capacity to record our meetings, which sometimes ran into two hours, and it was, as mentioned, simply placed on the table at the center so that all of us (ten board members, administrative director, media and PR person, plus sometimes our financial advisors) could all be heard as we spoke. It worked out very well and that way the digital recording could be filed right into the organization's computers for a permanent record as well as reference source for the secretary to prepare the notes of that meeting plus any carryover material for the next meeting. I am no longer on the board, but I think the device was fairly inexpensive and that it was purchased at someplace like Office Depot or Staples. Not sure of the brand, but it may have been Sony.

Thanks, that is the type of recorder I am looking at. I was thinking of trying one of the Omni directional mics like they put on the table of a conference room. I was thinking of putting it a small case with the recorder inside and the mic mounted to the top, so you could just turn it on record and then set the case on a nearby table. Trying to make this as simple as possible to use, so others can use it when I am not there. I’m glad to hear the General concept will work
Gary

From what I can recall, no extra external microphone was needed for our meetings; the device itself seemed to be able to pick up what everyone said, regardless of where we were seated at the rather long combination of two rectangular tables pulled together. I don't know if one of those omni-directional microphones can even be added/plugged into to the kind of recorder that my organization was using.... whatever it was, it was simply an off-the-shelf recorder picked up at Office Depot or Staples.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The Olympus ones are very good and will do the job. I suggest the cheaper of these two (see web page).
https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/a/audio_systems/audio_recording/
The mics will pick up everyone around the table. You don't need an (expensive) separate mic.
  • Ultra compact high resolution audio recording (96khz/24 bit sound) and music player. FLAC, WAV and MP3 file formats supported.
  • 90 tresmic, 3-microphone system for expanded frequency response with better bass capture (20hz to 20,000 hz)
  • Robust metal body with built in USB
  • Up to 39 hour battery life (rechargeable battery included)
The more expensive one on that page is overkill for your purposes.
But you may want to find a more basic one if this is too expensive. But don't buy one just designed to take dictation, they are cheap but designed with a little microphone to just record someone holding the device and speaking directly into it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom