1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Recreation - An oldie yet new for me.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JohnnyGator, Sep 30, 2008.

1. I think this can go in the lens lust section - if not just move it...

Something pretty lame but exciting happened to me today and I wanted to tell the story. I've dabbled in both digital & film photography and my first camera in High School was a Nikon 35mm SLR with the late 70's era Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens on it that my mom bought before I was even born. Anyway I used this camera for a while before it was stolen while I was in school. I never thought much of it at the time but I recently wanted to "recreate" the feeling I had with the lens so I began searching for a Nikon Series E. I know they're pretty easy to come by and can generally be bought for under $30 bucks at the flea market or ebay, but I wanted one that was flawless so I've been searching for quite a while. So on Friday I stumbled on a craigslist ad which had a large amount of Nikon film equipment for sale. I noticed the Nikon 50mm Series E f1.8 and to make a long story short eventually met up with the guy and purchased the lens for $30. I was surprised when I got home today because the lens is immaculate. Aside from a small amount of dust in the lens (doesn't affect picture quality) it's brand new. And to make things even better he added the case, a lens cap, a rear lens cap, a 52mm UV filter and a 52mm +3 macro filter. All for $30. Even better condition than the lens on my moms old camera that was stolen. Awesome :D 

I just wanted to let some of you know you don't need to shell out 1-2k to get excited about a "new" lens. :smile:

On a side note - anyone know how to get dust out the lens? Can I send it off somewhere. I don't care as for the price, this lens is somewhat special to me.

Check the pics I took today when I got home from work. All are at f1.8 and the first two have the +3 macro filter on.

Flower2.

Rose.

Tiki.

Lens1.

Lens2.

2. Congratulations on your purchase. That was the first Nikon lens I purchased back in the 1980s with my FG. I still have both and enjoy using them still. Your copy with the chrome ring was made between 1981 and 1985. Nikon made over 1.6 million of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.