Recue, or record?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phil K, Dec 29, 2005.

1. We were asked many times this hypothetical question - when you witness an accident, will you take pictures or will you go and help? We often answered with a lot of 'if's.

Today, I know my answer. It's an easy decision with no hestitation. A car plunged into the water right in front of me (the complete story is here). I jumped in to help almost immediately, without the slightest thought about taking photos, until after the firemen arrived.

I believe it's just instinct and human nature. And I now can answer that question without any 'if'.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. There was a similar discussion "over there" a few days ago. This guy sat and waited for folks to hit a deep pot hole which was hidden by rain water. He obviously got his shot with some poor old guy crashing head first into the pavement. He justified his actions by saying he posted the picture publicly to get the pothole (and others) repaired.

What he did was wrong since he could have prevented the person from getting hurt with a warning (what if the old guy had been killed?). What was more distressful was the legalistic mumbo jumbo from a few "educated" folks over there saying technically the photographer wasn't legally liable.

I criticised one gent's heartless and foolish logic and, of course was repremanded for butting in.

Thank goodness for this place, and your quick action at the car accident scene as well.

Rich

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    You are a true hero! Thanks for doing the right thing w/o hesitation.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great instincts and conviction, Phil. The only way that I would shoot images is if the situation was under control by professionals having juresdiction. I could never live with myself if I learned that someone could have used my help.