Red Bug

How did you get them (in your tank)? Fleas of the deep? They sure do show up real good. What's on the end of those yellow and gold striped thingys? French something? I take it that interceptor is some sort of medicine and dye?

gho

Ah, I forgot about a little perspective.

The photo's from my 29g tank (not very big, in fact referred to as a "nano" tank by the reefing community).

The photograph depicts the area circled in red:
39940470.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not very large, in fact, smaller than a dime. The "bugs" are about the size of a pin head. Yes, they're pretty much "fleas of the deep."

The yellow and gold striped thing is actually a branch of that coral close up - its more brownish in reality, but kinda fades with strong lighting and blends into the white of the coral skeleton.

Those frilly things on the end are the polyps - they can withdraw into the skeleton for protection. The polyps on this one is small, so its called a "Small Polyp Stony Coral" or SPS coral.

Here's a shot of one with the polyps out a bit further back (not the same coral):
20040822%20180022%202003.jpg

There's also Large Polyp Stony Corals, LPS like this hammer coral:

20050128%20171846%204300.jpg

Interceptor is dog heartworm medication (perscription only) - its in the trial stages in treating reef tanks and appears to be pretty effective so far.

Hey, neat explanation, photos, and setup!!!! Thanks! I do know that shooting those tanks is not an easy task unless you know what you are doing.

gho

Thanks Larry. I'm not sure that I know what I'm doing. Sometimes I just wing it :/

Its not too difficult though - easier than shooting birds!

gho said:
Thanks Larry. I'm not sure that I know what I'm doing. Sometimes I just wing it :/

Its not too difficult though - easier than shooting birds!

Gregory :

Dunno about that. The birds are more less available without too much glass to contend with... These reef shots of yours are incredible !

John P.

gho

Hehe... Just don't shoot the glass.

Well, since we're on the topic, here's a couple of my pretty sad looking reef tank with 'dem red bugs. They're on my smallest corals - the corals havn't grown since I got them. Just shot this pic a few minutes ago:

Front View:
20050219%20200552%204553.jpg

Side View:
20050219%20200844%204561.jpg

gho

Hey Hans... Here's one I shot a bit ago. Never posted it because I really didnt like the way it turned out.

37246921.gif

I dunno when the next time we'll be down at Sea World. Its been raining quite a bit lately.

Geezzz Gregory sometimes you under-rate yourself mate. I LOVE that dolphin shot!!

With the lights reflecting off the animal and that wonderful wake behind it, I think that's a super shot.

Oh and I like your tank shots too - it's fun finding Nemo. :D

gho

Thanks Neil... I dunno, I'll have to reconsider that shot - probably just easier for me to reshoot it.

Yeah, the tank shots - I try to get all my fish in the shot, but almost never succeed. Nemo is usually out front and is not timid at all, so he's (mine's actually a she), an easy fish to find.

Great thread Gregory!! Excellent pictures and informative narrative. I love the tank shots (I can't imagine how hard that must be to get right), and the Dolphin shot looks great to me.

Thanks,

Frank

G

greggebhardt

Wowo your tank is wonderful. Have always wanted to start something like that. Looks like it took lots of time to get where it is today!

gho

Frank: Thanks! Tank shots are not that difficult. I think studio shots are much more difficult.

I've got lessons on doing tank shots here:
www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons

All it takes is a bit of patience and dilligence.

Greg: Thanks. The tank doesn't really take taht much time. Just a bit here and there - mostly feeding the fish. Once every other week, I do a water change (5 USG) that's about it.

Most of the corals I get for very little money (some were donations from friends, well actually, most are donations from friends, and they just grow out).

Latest threads

Top Bottom