Red Bull Elevation, BMX Contest. Whistler BC

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by kirbdog, Jul 4, 2007.

1. kirbdog

kirbdog

Mar 28, 2006
    Whistler, B.C.
    The best contest that is held in Whistler every year is the Red Bull Elevation, Dirt Jump Contest. I went up and took a lot of photo during the two days that it was on!

I took lots of sequence shots so I have a ton of editing to do to put them together. Here is the first one I have got done. Let me know what you think. I will be posting more as I get them edited.

720816718_389c77b980_b.

Here is a good look at this years course. Its all downhill into the village!

720640925_6e64a4a533_b.

No footed Can Can on the upper section.

721003292_820e567e45_b.

Big turn down while the sun was shining during the finals, a huge crowd turned up. No one was disappointed, thirty of the worlds best riders on the one of the biggest courses that has ever been built.:eek:

721001760_1453fdb92d_b.

Your winner Ryan Nyquist. He actually broke is bike on this run and did his remaining runs on a borrowed bike to win. It is almost impossible to describe how hard that would be to do.

720998656_a9599fe556_b.

Thanks for taking a look, I will post up more sequence shots as I get them done. I have to post the double back flip, triple tailwhip and double tailwhip backflip sequences as they get done.

If you want to see what the event looked like in real action follow this link, Red Bull Elevation 2007

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  2. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    here's a better look, :biggrin:

720118409_a04d059afc_b2.

3. Your monitor must be a lot darker than mine, because this pic looks overblown, and the original looks better!

Also kickass pics, The Fisheye gives a good look at the course! I think the sequence is a little too jagged, Because the trick involves soo much motion its hard to tell whats exactly happening. A simpler trick might have sufficed?

4. Great shots! I love Whistler. Are you going to go to Crankworx?

5. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Nice work Kirby, did you use the D2H? Must be a great camera! :rolleyes: :Shocked: LOL!

Larz

6. kirbdog

kirbdog

Mar 28, 2006
    Whistler, B.C.
    Thanks Shepard, I think I am going to take some photos at Crankworx. I guess that is one of the many benefits to living in Whistler, I am never far from the action.

Thanks Lars, I did use the D2h for that sequence shot, and my D70 for the other shots I posted. I am starting to get used to the D2h now, I did use it for about 90% of the shots that I took at the event. The shutter speed on the D2h is amazing, I will post some more sequence shots soon.

7. kirbdog

kirbdog

Mar 28, 2006
    Whistler, B.C.
    Here is a panorama I put together that give a nice over view of the course and of the village.
    742820079_61c056857c_b.
    In hindsight I should have done the same shots but with a rider on each of the jumps. Live and learn I guess.:redface:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  8. Great shots! Looks like FUN!

With that said, I agree with Jim. Most of these shots could use a shot of shadow highlight. And I don't see all that much blown-out in Jim's shot compared to the original...

If you don't mind, here is my attempt:
    original.

View attachment 104155

9. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I saw the videos about that event and it delivered as promised. You must've had a blast watching them Kirby !! I'll try to post some of the Masters that are taking place in Cologne next Weekend :cool:

10. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Wowsers, nice shots and an awesome setting. Thanks for posting, I get to see all the action from here!

11. SCRacer

SCRacer

Apr 12, 2006
    Iowa
    wow those are really cool shots

12. kirbdog

kirbdog

Mar 28, 2006
    Whistler, B.C.
    You should see a lot of good action at the Masters next week. I can't wait to see what you come back with. I have been so busy I have not put together an of the sequence shots. But captured some good tricks Double Backflip, Triple tailwhip and during the best trick someone almost pulled a double tailwhip backflip!!! He got it to pedal twice but could not ride away without looping out on the landing.

Crankworx starts next week, I'll go shoot some of that also.

13. Wow. Those are great shots taken in a pristine location :smile:

14. That's sick man. Cool pictures !