Red Bull Flugtag - Portland Or.

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Spectre, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    What is Flugtag you ask?

Well, have you ever seen those people on TV that build a "craft" that is most of the time is in the shape of a plane or some other flying thing... Then they take it up on to a 25 foot platform and shove it off (with someone manning it) and see how far it "Flys"... ultimately crashing into the water below.

Well that's Flugtag.

Red Bull Energy Drinks sponsored the event in Portland yesterday so I went up to see what it was about. The people who build these things are crazy... not to mention the pople who go to watch.

It was a lot of fun.

Here is just a very small sample.

1. The event drew somewhere between 35,000 and 50,000 people... it got a bit crowded.

[​IMG]

2. One of the Teams.. The Pink Vikings. Ther ship didn't fly too well. Mind you... That is a 25 Foot plunge he is taking. Talk about going down with your ship!

[​IMG]

3. After the ship went... so did the rest of the team.......

[​IMG]

4. This is the "Red Ballers" team... they have the funky vintage backetball thing going, and tried to fly in a Chuck Taylor Hi-Top Converse Shoe. The didn't fly too well either...

[​IMG]

5. Off We go.........

[​IMG]

There were some interesting individuals there as well. Many people got into the spirit and came in costume.... don't ask me what that is about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks like a lot of fun ...... you got some great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

3. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    What? No shots of them hitting the water?

I saw some highlights on the news. I liked the one where some University of Oregon (Ducks) kids built a Beaver (Oregon State) just to show that Beavers can’t fly. I think they were referencing the Civil War football game the two schools play every December.

Cool shots tho. You had a good location. Must have been difficult to obtain in view of all the people that seemed to be everywhere, including shoulder to shoulder on the Steel Bridge.

4. great shots
    that very same show was in tampa 2 weeks ago
    same sponsor
    very cool stuff

love your images
    thanks for sharing them with us

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Gary,
    The U of O entry, was in response to the OSU entry when Flugtag was held here 4 years ago. OSU made and entry called the "Lame Duck" and crashed it, so the flightless "Beaver" was just payback.

I orginally had a great area that was dedicated to the press. I met someone who had a media pass and he let me in as part of his crew. Just before the opening ceremonies.... there were so many people that they opened the area up to the public. The bridge was packed clear down the full length. I parked over near OMSI and walked over.

6. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Some Really Funky Stuff! Nice Shooting!

7. thats awesome! Looks like a very fun event to go to

8. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Really great series. Nice shooting! would like to have seen some of them hitting water though.:smile:

9. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks

It was fun. A LOT of people though....

Thanks Sanford, I do have some with them in the water and hitting the water... I just put a few up so I didn't bore people.

10. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    I think #6 is an Orc from World of Warcraft. . .

The competition looks fun as all get out though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.