Red focus assist light on flash.

Hello, would someone be able to check to see if the red focus assist light located on a flash unit will work with the Z mirrorless system. Doesn't matter what brand of flash. I posted in the flash area but I understand why I didn't have a response. I watched a video by Peter Gregg and he could not make the red assist light located on the flash to work with mirrorless. I am considering adding a Nikon Z series in the future and would like to know if it is a mirrorless problem. I tried in on Olympus and the light will not work. Thank You.

Here's your answer, from Thom Hogan's Z6/7 guide:

"You can’t use the Autofocus Assist light built into the Speedlight flash units instead. Because those units use a deep red light and the focus sensors are under green/blue filters on the image sensor, the Z6 and Z7 wouldn’t really see the light reliably from the flash units, so Nikon has just disabled external Autofocus Assist when a flash has been attached to the Z6 and Z7."

FYI, the Zs have a GREEN focus assist lamp.

Here's your answer, from Thom Hogan's Z6/7 guide:

"You can’t use the Autofocus Assist light built into the Speedlight flash units instead. Because those units use a deep red light and the focus sensors are under green/blue filters on the image sensor, the Z6 and Z7 wouldn’t really see the light reliably from the flash units, so Nikon has just disabled external Autofocus Assist when a flash has been attached to the Z6 and Z7."

FYI, the Zs have a GREEN focus assist lamp.
Thank you. This is an answer that is great. I am amazed that it is not well known, at least to me. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom