1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Red Headed Woodpeckers are here!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Butlerkid, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    A pair of red headed woodpeckers are working on TWO homes in a huge oak tree in our front yard!

Even using my 200-400 with a 1.4 tele, these were cropped a lot. I'm going to have to get a stool to sit on so I can aim up so much! :eek: 

Should be fun practising shutter speed, ISO and DOF. I really HATE shooting ISO 800 or above due to the amount of noise I get on my D300! I generally shoot A priority...

As always, comments and critiques appreciated!

1/180 @ f8, ISO 800 +1
    1251308386_9Y95Y-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/500 @ f5.6, ISO 1600 +1
    1251308508_TSoYf-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. sla12

sla12

Jul 2, 2009
    Nashua, NH
    You wont have to travel to far for hopefully family portraits.

3. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    You have some pretty birds in your yard. It is good to hear this pair is building a nest in your tree. It is going to be a fun summer for you watching the family grow and getting some really nice images.

4. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Really nice shots. My D300 handles noise really well up to about 1600 if Im careful not to under expose.

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    What a Beauty! Nice job Karen!

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks!

I'm already trying to figure out how to get a higher vantage point! They are REALLY up there!

I'm looking forward to many sessions! And - the practise will be very good for me!

I'm glad for you! Above ISO 800 I get a lot of noise, everywhere, but of course especially in the shadows.

Thanks, Steve.

7. Pancho

Pancho

Dec 4, 2010
    Colorado
    Nice shots. I've only seen photos of these.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.