Red Knot

This bird was in a flock of about 40 birds that stopped over at Ft. Desoto FL. Five were tagged and one was wearing a radio locator. (If you see tagged Red Knots please report them to bandedbirds.org). Red Knots have one of the longest migration of any bird - 9,000 miles every year from Tierra del Fuego to the arctic!!! One bird is known to be 13 years old - think about how many miles that bird has flown!!!! The American sub-species has been in trouble since the 1990s because of harvesting of horseshoe crabs in Delaware Bay, a critical food resource during migration. The flock I saw was so intent on feeding that after a few minutes I was completely ignored and surrounded by them.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife, Marybee was chosen to do the artwork for the Kachemak Bay shorebird festival this year (Homer, Alaska). A few months back, I asked folks here for red knot photos, as that was the bird they wanted her to paint. Her work was used on t-shirts, sweatshirts, coffee mugs, etc, which are sold to be able to bring speakers to the festival to benefit those who go there at this time of the year. Thanks to Phillip 200 (Phil Tomkinson) she got the photos she needed for art reference to make her painting. Here's how it was used on t-shirts:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all. I was able to get many shots of this species after looking for them for many a year, it finally took a trip to FL. Now that I'm back in Nor Cal, there are reports of Red Knots about 10 miles from my home.... It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
This bird was in a flock of about 40 birds that stopped over at Ft. Desoto FL. Five were tagged and one was wearing a radio locator. (If you see tagged Red Knots please report them to bandedbirds.org). Red Knots have one of the longest migration of any bird - 9,000 miles every year from Tierra del Fuego to the arctic!!! One bird is known to be 13 years old - think about how many miles that bird has flown!!!! The American sub-species has been in trouble since the 1990s because of harvesting of horseshoe crabs in Delaware Bay, a critical food resource during migration. The flock I saw was so intent on feeding that after a few minutes I was completely ignored and surrounded by them.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/califlefty/Florida/20130425-522.jpg
What a beautiful shot and bird.

Very nice. We are heading to Delaware Bay next week hoping that they will be there feasting on the horseshoe crab eggs.

Mike

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for that link, very well produced. In my survey of the knots I found 5 banded birds, one with a locator.

The first bird has a very old sequence of bands, and is missing some on the left leg. It is likely this bird was banded in New Jersey along the Delaware Bay in May of 2001 or 2002, a pretty old Red Knot!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom