Red Shoulder Hawk Comes in for an Interview

I was leaving work on Friday and walking to my car when I just happened to see this Red Shouldered hawk sitting on the concrete wall RIGHT BESIDE ME! So luckily my car was only a few paces away...so I walked there, put my bag in my car and out comes the D50 and 70-300 VR lens. I snapped off a few shots and some others even came out of the building to try and figure out what I was taking pictures of. :biggrin:

Surveying the loading dock (not sure what he expects to find there)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Quickly shoots a glance at my direction trying to figure out what the beep/click sound of the D50 focusing and snapping a shot is

Figures I am not a threat and continues to look out over the loading dock

I'm mad though because I missed the flyaway shot as the lady with the cell phone camera was talking to me and I turned away for a second. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks Dianne...I've gotten lucky in the past 2 weeks...we had a Red Tail Hawk sitting in the trees and now this Red Shouldered Hawk sitting by the building just enjoying the afternoon. I haven't had to go out and look for them!

Thanks Gale, Louis and Hunter. To let you know how close I was all 3 above were at 300mm and cropped a bit.

Here is a 70mm shot (uncropped).

And here is a 300mm shot uncropped.

Great capture. 70-300 VR is a really useful lens. I had a great luck with GBH at Chattahoochee last Friday that I am going to post today. Looks like my neighborhood hawk was away for a while. :biggrin:

Great capture. 70-300 VR is a really useful lens. I had a great luck with GBH at Chattahoochee last Friday that I am going to post today. Looks like my neighborhood hawk was away for a while. :biggrin:
Yes, it is and VR is very helpful. The shots above are between 1/80s and 1/125s, which would be impossible without VR. I'm actually surprised that the shutter speed was that low. I guess I could have thrown on the Sigma 50-150 for faster f/2.8 speeds.

Anyway, this guy probably was from your neighborhood. I look forward to seeing your GHB shots. I'm guessing they were shot with your D200? That is what I am lusting for now...

Thanks Lowolf and Gary. Yeah, I am proud of these and by far my sharpest shots of a raptor to date. I was very close to a hawk and a lot of Osprey down in Florida during Christmas last year, but I really strugged with my 70-300 Sigma. It made the decision to get the Nikon VR edition even easier when it came out.

As for the D50, it does very well and has taught me a lot about DSLR photography. However, it's getting to the point now where my wife is wanting to take pictures too and I am thinking the D50 would be perfect for her and a good compliment to a D200. :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom