1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Red Shoulder Hawk Comes in for an Interview

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I was leaving work on Friday and walking to my car when I just happened to see this Red Shouldered hawk sitting on the concrete wall RIGHT BESIDE ME! So luckily my car was only a few paces away...so I walked there, put my bag in my car and out comes the D50 and 70-300 VR lens. I snapped off a few shots and some others even came out of the building to try and figure out what I was taking pictures of. :biggrin:

Surveying the loading dock (not sure what he expects to find there)
    [​IMG]

Quickly shoots a glance at my direction trying to figure out what the beep/click sound of the D50 focusing and snapping a shot is
    [​IMG]

Figures I am not a threat and continues to look out over the loading dock
    [​IMG]

I'm mad though because I missed the flyaway shot as the lady with the cell phone camera was talking to me and I turned away for a second. Oh well, maybe next time.

2. Beautiful! And I'm GREEN! I have yet to get a really good photo of a hawk! I like the way he's looking at ya in the 2nd one! Like, "what are you doing?" "Is this my best side?" Nice catch!

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Dianne...I've gotten lucky in the past 2 weeks...we had a Red Tail Hawk sitting in the trees and now this Red Shouldered Hawk sitting by the building just enjoying the afternoon. I haven't had to go out and look for them!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful shots

5. Very nice shots.

Louie

6. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Beautiful shots Dave. What a treat to see one so close.

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Gale, Louis and Hunter. To let you know how close I was all 3 above were at 300mm and cropped a bit.

Here is a 70mm shot (uncropped).
    [​IMG]

And here is a 300mm shot uncropped.
    [​IMG]

8. Nice series Dave. I've learned to politely ignore the talkers, because I always miss the fly aways when I don't!

9. Great capture. 70-300 VR is a really useful lens. I had a great luck with GBH at Chattahoochee last Friday that I am going to post today. Looks like my neighborhood hawk was away for a while. :biggrin:

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yes, it is and VR is very helpful. The shots above are between 1/80s and 1/125s, which would be impossible without VR. I'm actually surprised that the shutter speed was that low. I guess I could have thrown on the Sigma 50-150 for faster f/2.8 speeds.

Anyway, this guy probably was from your neighborhood. I look forward to seeing your GHB shots. I'm guessing they were shot with your D200? That is what I am lusting for now...

11. I would say that D50 does a great job too. It will be a great backup camera. I have posted GBH shots here.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    Great captures

13. Fantastic Series Peet

You ought to be proud of those

14. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Lowolf and Gary. Yeah, I am proud of these and by far my sharpest shots of a raptor to date. I was very close to a hawk and a lot of Osprey down in Florida during Christmas last year, but I really strugged with my 70-300 Sigma. It made the decision to get the Nikon VR edition even easier when it came out.

As for the D50, it does very well and has taught me a lot about DSLR photography. However, it's getting to the point now where my wife is wanting to take pictures too and I am thinking the D50 would be perfect for her and a good compliment to a D200. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.