Red Shoulder update (3 photos)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Morning All, and a good one it is as I see three in the nest growing and also one adult and some success on my indoor trap line last night so I figured I bring lunch for them if they want it.
    Lou

1 We still got three
    542434968_325e5b1c2e_o.

2 I brought lunch
    542434958_383d86d8bc_o.

3 I think Mom see’s lunch so I’m going to leave them alone as they look great and it’s going to get hot.
    542434952_208c6b5df3_o.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great stuff Louie, I'll be watching for each of your updates on this family. This is awesome.

3. That is great Lou. Please keep us informed.

all the best
    Nancy

4. Thanks Frank, This is there 5th. year with me and I never tire of them. Sometimes they roost in my backyard and watch for a meal. They love garder snakes but I can only afford hamburger for them.:biggrin::biggrin:
    Lou

5. Outstanding Update Lou

6. Hi Nancy and thank you for looking. As I said to Frank I have had them now for 5 years and have a complete history on their nesting on my web. I gave them an entire page as I think they deserve it. Should you feel like looking and reading the link is on my home page www.loubuscher.com I think you will enjoy some of their photos from over the years.
    Lou

7. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Tell me, Lou, do the hawks prefer their mice dipped in soy sauce, ketchup or chocolate? :smile:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots
    The Hawks look nice and healthy

Few extra mice is a good thing:>))))))

I got 7 squirrels you can have...lololol

Little devil

9. Thanks Gary It's almost like I know this pair after 5 nestings with them. Last fall we released a rehabbed young female here and she was ganged right away by a bunch of crows before she could even get to a tree. I wish we could have banded her so I would have had a chance to ID her sometime if I got lucky. They are my favorite hawk over all of them. I love their call.
    Lou

10. OK Pia I will diclose my favorite way of prepareing the Red Shoulder Hawks mice. They prefer them fried in a bit of butter and just turned over slighty and a tiny bit of maple syrup. But here is the most important part of it all.
    They will only eat it if cooked in your Mother in Laws pots and pans and you are not allowed to tell her. The tiny bones can go down the drain quite easy.
    A very sharp knife is needed to prepair them. Keep a bandaid handy. Hey let me know if you needed any mailed to you as I will be trapping again tonight.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Thanks for looking and a little fun.
    :wink: Lou

11. Sorry Gale but your going to have to go and ask Gary as he has the red tails and they like what you got 7 of. Now believe this or not but I can place a dead mouse out on the deck rail or on the grass and the squirrels will eat it. The two you see in this post I took out of the traps and laid them on the deck and befor I could get a plastic bag one squirrel had one in his mouth already. I have in my files a photo of this happening.
    The RSH does not take a squirrel as it is a bit large for them but I would say if road kill and their hungry well that's another story. They do like a good garder snake and moles. Thank you for offering me more of what I have already:biggrin::biggrin:. and of cause your looking in.
    Lou