Red-shouldered hawk... in downtown LA??

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DBrim, Jul 3, 2007.

1. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    This was taken about a mile from the center of Los Angeles. The post that it's sitting on serves the 110 freeway.

Taken with the 18-200 at 200, f/8, 75% crop. Sadly, I couldn't do anything about the fence.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    Great Capture of the moment

3. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great shot. Maybe he likes the city life.

4. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I'm assuming that he dines on pigeons and such, but I've lived almost all of my life here, and I've never seen a hawk in LA, even the outer suburbs.

5. Debbz Hobbyz

Debbz Hobbyz Guest

I live between Palm Springs and San Diego and never saw a hawk here until the last couple years. Now I drive and see them everywhere, how lucky are we to now see them! :)

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Lucky for you sad for the wildlife being forced to the city from losing thier habitat.

Beautiful bird

7. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    That's what I was thinking. It also attests to how flexible the species is.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

8. That's actually a Red-shouldered hawk Daniel, which I'd imagine is still a good bird for the area.

9. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Ah! Thanks for clearing that up. I was told that it was a red-tail, but looking at the wikipedia page on the Red-shouldered hawk, that looks like it! It's still the first hawk I've seen here, though.

10. Hey, nice shot! Don't feel too bad about mistaking your hawk! I've done it 3 times! I've mistaken a swainson's, a cooper's, and even goofed on the redtail that I did get! Nice going no matter what birdie it is!

11. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Funny We were driving in Anaheim yesterday. I told my wife, i wonder why the population of hawks is so high this year? There are normally quite a few around us, but this year the seem to be many more than normal.

12. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps it's related to the extremely dry winter we had here?

13. Dan yes it is a red shoulder and yes you can get rid of the fence and I hope you don’t mind but I tried and did get rid of it by using the lasso tool in PSCS I also tried to make the pipe look somewhat like a branch but it did not come out to well so take your next one in a tree.:biggrin:
    I added a link if you interested in looking at a 2007 nesting of the red shoulder here in my area. This is their 5th. year with me. You can click on the slide show if you want for easy viewing.It's just below the photo.
    Lou

714957441_50a7b8c0aa_o.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/sets/72157600482688383/