Red Shoulders Nesting (A loss)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Jun 5, 2007.

1. I'm afraid we lost one yesterday or last night. The weather was terrible and she had them covered late yesterday but I don't believe either could hunt due to the weather as their feathers looked like they would sink if dropped in water.
    The one adult spent a lot of time bringing in new hemlock pieces to reline the nest while I am sure the other was hunting off some where as I only saw one at the nest all the time I watched with the scope. They look hungry.
    Lou

532040274_dd37624f87_o.

532040278_df77d4b718_o.

2. Survival, that's what it's all about. Good job on the captures and bringing the story to us.

Louie

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots Lou
    To bad on the loss of #4
    Thanks for the update

4. Thanks Louie I am hoping this weather wil start to be nice as it has been terrible and there talking about another storn over by Iran that can affect us also. A lot of nest failures this year so far.
    lou

5. I'll hang with then Gale as maybe the rest will make it OK. I guess I should know that 4 young for a pair of RSH is a bit much for them as the hatch time is quite a ways in between so the last one is quite smaller than the first.
    Lou

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have see the older ones try to push the little one out at the St Autustine rookery.
    By golly that bugger held on and made it.
    4 Great Egrets

7. Anything for food Gale. All raptors are the same in this respect and when a pair like the RSH has 4 there is almost always going to be some loss. Their first nesting (5 years ago) they had 4 but a coon got them all but I have since placed a predator guard on the nest tree and some smaller tees nearby but I did find a piece of the flashing torn off on one so perhaps it started up and with 4 in there they started to get nervous and one fell out and the coon went for the one on the ground. Just a theory as I found the grass tramped down in the area below the nest tree. I am going there today and cut the tree down and any other smaller ones growing nearby.
    Lou

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Survival of the fittest
    Should be that way with 2 legged animals and this world would not be over poputated:>)))

9. Great images, Lou.... I commend you for your dedication to this nesting site. Only good raccoon is a hat in my books!

10. Nice shots Lou!

How are you feeling lately???

11. O my Gale you wouldn't be talking politics now would you???:wink::wink:
    Lou

12. Thanks Sandi I just came back from cutting thar damn tree down and Geezze it was bigger than I though and i did it by hand as a chain saw makes to much noise.
    The three of them were looking over the edge at me and the one parent was watching from a short ways every move I was making but seemed in agreement. After I was all done and got that damn thing into the woods I went to get my scope to look up and the parent flew in so I had my camera in the wagon and I figured I'd take a few as it was nice and open and guess what. My 5 year old microdrive card quit. I said to my self HUMMMmm Murphy law is at it today.
    Lou

13. Thank you Jim for the photos and your concern. I will be having surgery on my knee this month and I am hoping all goes well because I have an invite to go on a hunt with one of 5 licenced Falconers in the US that hunt with a golden eagle. The eagle a 4 year old male just brought back from Wyoming and is undergoing creance flying training and is sitting the Falconers fist quite well so I am thinking mid July I will get to hunt with a golden eagle. Fingera are XXX.
    I screwed my knee up at the Conowingo last season. Just getting to old to carry this big stuff around. I am having trouble checking on my eagle nests as some of them are in spots only an eagle could like.:biggrin: I did visit an easy one yesterday and the young looked good. I did do most of my viewing at about 700 feet with my telescope. I'm working on a series on how to build an eagle nest with treated lumber. Hope to post a slide show in a few days.
    Lou

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ME??? naw...Never

15. Sorry I missed you Sandi I was having some cable trouble. I think Davi Crokett though that way also but he could out grin a coon so bad it would fall out of the tree. Did you know he could grin the bark right off a tree?:biggrin::biggrin:
    Lou