Red Shoulders nesting

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, May 20, 2007.

1. Well this will be the 5th year for this pair of Red Shoulder Hawks here in Willow and I was finally able to get a peek in their nest today and was able to make 3 young and maybe a fourth. I watched in the scope for quite a while and then tried for some photos. As you can see the line of sight into that nest has many things in the way but I figured if I take enough photos a few will turn up OK. Not great light today as it was on and off with the sun but as they get a bit larger I have a good spot where I can set up a blind and a long glass and my chair. Quite a few here so I put them in a slide show for viewing. In the begining the male just came in with a mole and Mom is feeding those very little PUFFS of white.

Click on link and I hope you enjoy.
    Lou
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/tags/rshslides/show/

2. Very very nice slideshow, Lou. The young guys are very cute.

Keep them coming!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Boy those are some nice shots. The babies are really tiny.

4. Thanks Phil and yes as they grow I will post some more. Working on my first eagle banding trip from last thursday. Hope to post that soon.
    Lou

5. Thanks Gale Yes they were late this year getting down on eggs. I found her incubating on April 14 and on the 15th. we had about 16 inches of snow so I was a bit worried about her being able to keep them warm. The nest was a big mound of white but it looks like Mother Nature took care of them.
    Hope to be posting an eagle banding trip I did last Thursday withthe DEC. Good day but the sun Gods were not good.
    Lou

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Look foward to the banding series

7. Me too. :smile:

8. Yeah you saw it Phil but I still would like to know more about that hat-Helmit, must be a story there no???:biggrin:
    Lou

9. What a nice series! Well done!

10. Thank you Andréas, Please look foward to many more. There is a complete series on this pair of RSH on my web called Red Shoulders Nesting if you care to look and also read about the reastablishment of the bald eagle here in New York. Called Still Soaring. www.loubuscher.com Thanks
    Lou