Red Tail Fox at Dawn

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Apr 15, 2007.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I was blessed yesterday morning with the opportunity to spend darn near 15 minutes in close proximity with a beautiful red tail fox as it went about it's morning routine as it hunted the salt marsh.

These shots are all with a D2Xs and Nikon 500 AFSII..both with and without a TC14EII. You'll note that the WB varies amongst these shots and that's because color temperature of the light here changes every few seconds as the light comes from behind you here...before the sun has elevated above the dunes (it's rising over the ocean) and as it elevates to a point where it's above the dunes. Kinda neat as it's almost like getting two differing aspects of the sunrise lighting. If there are any shadow areas at all at this low light level, they really turn blue.

When first observed, the fox had just emerged from a salt marsh creek through which it was either traveling or within which it was hunting....

original.

I whistled to get it's attention and darn if it didn't come running almost directly towards me...

original.

About 40 feet away, something in the marsh grass caught it's attention which allowed a rather close up head study shot....

original.

For a moment I thought that my new friend was gong to take a snooze right in front of me.....

original.

Dumbo me took my eye away from the viewfinder for a moment to wipe the tears from my eye caused by the cold wind blowing and I missed the pounce shot...but I did get this beauty looking at me with it's prey.... (a meadow vole I'd assume)....

original.

I guess a fox is much like a dog as it swallowed the vole whole...never chewing it to savor it's taste :)

In a moment my foxy friend headed off and as he was leaving I quietly said "please give me your head" and for a moment the fox stopped and turned to look just long enough for this parting shot....

original.

2. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Wow jim!! These are top notch and I hope you frame a few. What a neat experience! The light and perspective/angle is beautiful.

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Stunning. Great light.

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Those are some of the nicest fox photos that I've seen.

Bravo !

John P.

5. Great series Jim. I like 'em all but am partial to 2 & 3.

You certainly have a treasure trove of critters in your area!

Don

6. Stunning series in every way! Gorgeous fox! Lovely lighting! Perfect! I'd hang any one of them on my wall!

7. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Wow Jim, which one isn't to like!!!!???

8. Drifter

Drifter

May 7, 2006
    West Virginia
    Nice series of shots Jim !!
    Beautiful animal...and very elusive, great captures.

Thanks for sharing;

9. Excellant.

Jim, that is a great series of shots there. I say, Very Well Done. I like the lighting you captured him in. Again, very good job.

George.

10. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great shots! The lighting is fabulous.

11. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Stunning!

12. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Very Nice love the color and the sharpness, I like the last one best

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is so fantastic
    Jim yo da greatest out there in the wild:>)))
    Beautiful images everyone of them.

14. That is a super series, color, detail and lighting perfect!!!

Worthy of National geographic

15. What a "golden" opportunity you were given! As your photographs demonstrate, you took full advantage of it. Hmm, there must be something illegal or immoral about whistling foxes in for 40 foot portraits! :rolleyes:

16. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Good Thing I Didn't

Play my distressed rabbit call thingy (I'm kidding!)

17. Awesome !

18. Great shots Jim. Besides what others have said, it is a great series of a working animal.

19. Jim, what a wonderful series. That last one is perfect in every way - the look, the light, full lush tail, perked ears and sun catchlights - doesn't get much better than that!

20. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Wow! These are beautiful with that golden light. What a great series!