Red Tail Fox at Dawn

I was blessed yesterday morning with the opportunity to spend darn near 15 minutes in close proximity with a beautiful red tail fox as it went about it's morning routine as it hunted the salt marsh.

These shots are all with a D2Xs and Nikon 500 AFSII..both with and without a TC14EII. You'll note that the WB varies amongst these shots and that's because color temperature of the light here changes every few seconds as the light comes from behind you here...before the sun has elevated above the dunes (it's rising over the ocean) and as it elevates to a point where it's above the dunes. Kinda neat as it's almost like getting two differing aspects of the sunrise lighting. If there are any shadow areas at all at this low light level, they really turn blue.

When first observed, the fox had just emerged from a salt marsh creek through which it was either traveling or within which it was hunting....

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I whistled to get it's attention and darn if it didn't come running almost directly towards me...

original.jpg

About 40 feet away, something in the marsh grass caught it's attention which allowed a rather close up head study shot....

original.jpg

For a moment I thought that my new friend was gong to take a snooze right in front of me.....

original.jpg

Dumbo me took my eye away from the viewfinder for a moment to wipe the tears from my eye caused by the cold wind blowing and I missed the pounce shot...but I did get this beauty looking at me with it's prey.... (a meadow vole I'd assume)....

original.jpg

I guess a fox is much like a dog as it swallowed the vole whole...never chewing it to savor it's taste :)

In a moment my foxy friend headed off and as he was leaving I quietly said "please give me your head" and for a moment the fox stopped and turned to look just long enough for this parting shot....

original.jpg

Wow jim!! These are top notch and I hope you frame a few. What a neat experience! The light and perspective/angle is beautiful.

Jim :

Those are some of the nicest fox photos that I've seen.

Bravo !

John P.

Excellant.

Jim, that is a great series of shots there. I say, Very Well Done. I like the lighting you captured him in. Again, very good job.

George.

That is so fantastic
Jim yo da greatest out there in the wild:>)))
Beautiful images everyone of them.

Jim, what a wonderful series. That last one is perfect in every way - the look, the light, full lush tail, perked ears and sun catchlights - doesn't get much better than that!

Latest threads

Top Bottom