Red-tail Hawk Relaxing

A few captures of a Red-tail Hawk relaxing after a nice meal and a full crop. Captured in one of my local parks "last minute decision on my part to pay a visit", he was perched ten yards off a couple of trails, people where just biking/with their dogs/walking past him, no one noticed him. I did, he stuck out like a sore thumb, so I proceeded to get a bunch of captures of him/her. There are a bunch of these Red-tail Hawks in that area, been getting BIF shots of them, but never got this close to one, especially when perched this low off the ground, five to six feet tops. He/she could have cared less about the shutter sound of the D850 firing away. It's one of those this will not happen again moment for a wildlife/bird photographer, bird of prey, perfect light, perfect perch with no messy distracting background.

1. Cropped to taste
DSC_2835_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Heavy Crop
DSC_2835_DxO~2.jpg

3. Cropped to taste
DSC_2851_DxO_2.jpg

4. Heavy Crop
DSC_2851_DxO_2~3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Nice portrait. Great detail - big crops hold up well.
Thank you Allan. The 45 megapixel sensor helps in the crop department, and the nice size bird being ten yards "most likely less than ten yards" away also helped, it was so close I had to move the focus point two notches up from the center position "center focal point is where I prefer to shoot from, as it's the sharpest part of the lens, any lens", if I was shooting with the D500 I would have never been able to get the entire bird in the frame, yes I could have shot it in vertical mode if I was using the D500, but I would have completely squeezed in the bird with not much going on to the left or right of the bird.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom