Red tail Hawk

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Keith, Aug 13, 2005.

1. I normally fly up north to visit a couple of my branches but decided to drive and take along the camera. It was well worth doing, but the funny thing was I didnt see many hawks, 5 hours there, 5 hours back. As I was driving home tonight this guy was about 1 mile from my house :lol: Go figure. All shots taken with the X , 500mm af-s f4 + 1.4tceII . First real opportunity to try it out 8)

original.

original.

original.

Shot at f 7.1 @ 1/200 , faster shutter speed would have been nice........

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Keith:

Well, the word STUNNING came to mind when I saw these. Gorgeous photos. :mrgreen: Where does 5 hours north of Alberta take you???
    It's always when you least expect it, isn't it?

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Keith,

These are outstanding!! I must have missed it. When did you get the 500?? Are you ready to get rid of that junk 400 2.8 yet?? :lol:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank your a mooch LOLOLOL

Keith those are marvelous images. Good job.

Sure with I could get a 500 and tc. Darn. I would be tied to the tripod though. Well I would do that. lolol

5. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Kieth ,They look Great !

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Really nice work Keith!

Great detail, and that sky is SO blue. Beautiful compositions!

7. Nice clear shots Keith. Well done.

8. Nice going Keith. You really get an idea of the talon size on that bird in your last shot!! WOW!!

9. Looks sharp, clean and bright. Great shots Keith. That combo you use if it gets to heavy I'll take it off your hands. lol
    Pete

10. So is he sitting on one of "your branches" ;)

Awesome pics Kieth, great background, perfect focus.

Martin

11. Hi Lisa, thanks for looking and the nice compliment! Well that puts me up to Fort Mac, plus further north to see all the oilsands, whole different world up there. Nice drive too! thanks again

12. Hi Frank

Had it for several weeks bit but first chance to get to use it, urghhhhhh. For first outing, have to say I really like :D You might have to pry that junk out of Twig's hands, he's having a blast with it shooting baseball! He should be in sales, he found me the 500mm so I could sell him the 400mm. LOL.......it worked 500mm is sweet but do have to say I miss the f2.8 for low light shooting, but dont miss carrying that 12 pounds :lol:

13. Thank you Gale.......not a biggie with the tripod, just put wheels on it, so in another 50 years you can use it for a walker. :lol: :lol: dual purpose! LOL

14. thanks gents

Thanks Biggstr, Gordon and Steve, appreciate the kind comments!

15. Thanks Bryan...........it is kind of cool. LOL........first real good shot of one, now to try it again :wink:

16. LOL, thanks for the offer. Just right size and weight, now the 400mm was heavy! guess f2.8 will do that to you, it was a big chunk of glass.........but it was sweet, just a tad short

17. Thanks Martin, naw couldnt be that lucky!!! I need a backyard like everyone else has here. LOL Put a deposit on a lakelot as they call it, I call it a slough, but it does have birdies ;-) See how that works out.

hope all is well

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I sure don't know what to say or what to add to what has already been said. Your images are outstanding...each and every one. Great colors, tack sharp and perfect crop.

19. Beautiful shots, Keith! But then again, I've come to expect nothing less from you! Keep 'em coming! :)

20. Very fine images Keith. That is a beautiful bird.