Red Tail This Morning

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Aug 4, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    On the way to work.....

Where this bird was perched I needed to set up in the street to get shots of him and I think I pissed a few people off :) 

All shot at ISO 500 with a 500AFSII and TC14EII

Sitting pretty:

original.

A Little Morning sprucing up...
    original.

Got a little aggravated when I did my best Osprey imitation....
    original.

Checking out a mocking bird that was really a pest....and a little buzz job by the mockingbird who must have been feeling his oats this morning :) 

View attachment 13162

View attachment 13163

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well done series
    every one of them
    you musta been a site to the civilians :) 

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Ben

Hi Ben...

It was an interesting mix of horns, smiles and one guy giving me the finger :) 

Some folks just don't understand what's truly important in life!

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nice series of shots,

I also did get a bit tired this year when I was shooting the local eagle nest, hearing folks honk their horns and yell at us photogs on the shoulder of the highway, so I understand what you went through. But, as you presented with your outstanding images, it is all worth it. :) 

Bravo,

Wade

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Depending on how busy the street was,

I'll bet you did piss a few ppl off! :p  Tell me Jim, did you have your tripod locked down tight for these, and are you tripping the shutter by hand, or the use of a cable release? I'm still stuggling a bit at 700mm. I can hardly trip the shutter by hand without inducing shake. I have to use a release. I can even see shake when I rest my left hand on the lens, like you're supposed to.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Steve

The wimberly head and ball head where as loose as can be (for my shooting mobility) and I'm focussing with the AF-ON and releasing by hand with then shutter release button.

Most of my subjects don't stay still long enough to use a cable release and mirror up delay on them.

7. Another beautiful series Jim.

8. Re: Ben

Indeed!! ;) 

Great shots!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim, I thik they are worth all the horns and pissed of drivers. lol

Your right, they don't see much beauty in life do they.

Great job. Fantastic images.

10. WOW, beautifully done Jim!!! worth all the honking. LOL

11. Oh my! Wonderful job Jim. I would dearly love to get a good chance at a redtail.

12. After looking at your images I don't think it matters what the drivers thought. Too bad they couldn't see what great images you took. The stare down in your next to last image is a classic. Well done my friend.

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Gordon

The staredown was my favorite as well :) 

14. You're lucky you just got jeers, honks and fingers; I almost got arrested doing the same thing too many years ago than I care to remember . OK, so I was just around a blind curve..... but what the hey... it was the first time I saw a Northern Harrier... let's get life's priorities straight here... life-and-limb or a good shot... some people just don't get it.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Jim. I don't think I ever seen a hawk with such a protruding belly. Wonder if was 'with child', or if it was just ruffling its feathers in a funny way??

16. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Farnk

Definetly puffed out from preening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.