Red-tailed hawk and a vole...caution

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chip, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Hey folks,
    Hope your weather has been better than here in Washington. The 10 day forecast has rain and overcast everyday. I had to get out and shoot though.

I saw this hawk today sitting on a gazebo type structure looking into the grass. He let me drive right up to him, then he took off for the grass below:I got out and rested the lens on a wood rail under the gazebo and got maybe 2shots off. All with 300 2.8 and TC 1.7.

1/200s f/5.0 at 500.0mm iso400
    original.

He flew back to the shelter right above my head with a large vole, so I got back in my car and shot from the window ledge and beanbag.
    1/320s f/6.3 at 500.0mm iso500
    original.

I had time to take the tc off and shoot the 300 straight.
    1/250s f/5.0 at 300.0mm iso200
    original.

I tried to dial down the ISO for a clean shot and he started ripping at this meal hence the motion blur.
    1/60s f/5.6 at 300.0mm iso100
    original.

It took him about 8 minutes to finish this guy off. He was still sitting there when I drove away. What a cool thing to see.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Chip. This kind of opportunity doesn't come along very often, and you were certainly well prepared. :smile:

3. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Wow, awesome capture, pictures are so clear and sharp, you can see the guts of the mice every where.

4. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    You are right Frank. To see a Raptor hunt and eat his meal right in front of me is really rare. Thanks for the comments.

5. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Thanks John. Yes his sharp beak and powerful talons really did a number on the Vole.

6. Beautiful images and a dark morph RTH to boot!

What cam body are you shooting with?

7. Nevermind, just checked your pbase site...WOW...the owls you shot this month are amazing!!!

8. Beautiful capture, Chip.

9. Same weather here, awesome pictures, giblets are a bonus.

Martin

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great shots...

11. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Wow excellent capture.
    Sharp shots&cool composition.

12. Very lcuky caputre and you did real well with the bad lighting

13. Nice, Sharp, Well-done captures. Good you were prepared.

14. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Gross, but really cool! Not one for blood but you have to appreciate the beauty of such creatures.

15. Chip you did great. Bill and I went to the Skagit again yesterday. It was dark, dark and then darker!! Few eagles around but the boats chased them off pretty early. Are you seeing some good eagles on your beach? Maybe I need to make the drive over there. Yes, get that sun out. This weather is for the birds, not us photographers!!!

16. bfjr

bfjr Guest

great Raptor feast shots
    very nicely done !!