Red-winged Backbird

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Allan, Apr 1, 2007.

1. I wanted to find ducks, or perhaps the short-eared owl yesterday, but all I could find close enough to photograph were a coot and these red-winged blackbirds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very very good:))
    I have been trying to get this character.
    I have one pic from a year or two ago..lolol

They are beautiful birds

3. It all depends on where you live. I wish we had the birds you have it Florida. These birds show up in great numbers every March to let you know winter is almost over.

4. Hi Allan,

Nice work on these R-wBB's - the second one is my favorite, especially if it had not been cropped so tight on the bottom.

5. Very nice captures, good detail in a black bird.

6. What a great series. Was the bird yelling at you or were there others present in the area?

7. There were three birds - all males - on the tree. I assume they were yelling to attract mates - not to scare me.

I say that because they yell a lot, even when people aren't near them.

If someone knows please answer.

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    They're Yelling Because

A) They're staking out territories (even though many are just migrating through)

B) they are trying to attract mates (even though the males always arrive a month before the females)

C) It's simply what male red wings do :)

Looks as though you and I were shooting the same thing in different locations!

These are tough birds to shoot in order to keep details highlighted in the blacks and to not blow the red....I like these :)

9. I did blow out the highlights though. I shot -1/3 ev. I see you shot yours at -1 1/3 ev. You brought back the shadows a lot but the dr is so great. You either give up the highlights or shadow when you shoot red and black in bright light.

I have to find some places closer to home than PI now that gas prices are going up. :(

10. Thanks for the comments Rob, Gale, Pho;, Nick, and Jim.

11. Wonderful - what gorgeous colours. Very animated - gotta love spring for bringing out the best in all the animals - esp the humans!! :biggrin: