Critique Reddish Egret in motion

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Butlerkid, May 18, 2017.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    My one goal for our trip to Florida was to get some good photos of the Reddish Egret.

It was 2 1/2 weeks into our 3 week vacation before I found one close enough to photograph. And this one wasn't very active. But I did manage a few shots.

_5DX1967-X2.

_5DX1979-X2.

_5DX1916_DxO-X2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Karen like them all, #2 and 3 are my favorite. I love images that show movement and you have captured that well.

I love #2, the intensity and the wing position, the oof foreground reeds it all comes together exceptionally well.

3. Some super captures Karen, I'm with Michael in really liking shots with motion in them and it's not always easy to get them. Very good work.

4. really like #1, reeds were a bit unfortunate or could be argued add to the mystique

5. Wonderful set...! :)

6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks a lot, Michael. I stood around a LOT waiting for a little action! LOL!
    Appreciate the comments, Louis!
    Thanks a lot, Bob! I'm usually the one admiring your work! Since I could get a clear shot through the reeds of the head and especially the eyes, I actually like the OOF foreground. Hopefully the viewer will feel like they are peering through the reeds like I was.
    Howdy, William! Thanks!

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I most certainly prefer the frst ground shots compared to the flight shots. The eyes are just simply sharper and the wing positions in the flight shots are interesting with wing shapes but not as much as your usual superior work. The slightly less sharp eyes in flight shots would be just fine if you had some great wing shapes, that first flight is pretty good though. Love the leg dangles, they are interesting and provide a nice flow and line.

I truly like the blurred front vegetation, provides atmosphere and location.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your thoughts! I truly appreciate the input!!!

I felt the stalking shots were pretty strong and I hoped the OOF grasses would lend to the scene. I agree with your assessment of the flight shots. Only the first one is one I like and that is because of the wing positions. Agree that the eyes could be sharper.

Thanks again!