Reddish Egret (?) @ MINWR

Discussion in 'Merritt Island II' started by Kevin Scott, Jun 1, 2005.

1. On Saturday, after I left Harry, Gale, & Trish, I made my way to Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge where the 1st MI group visited in February. I'm hoping we can go back there as a group on this trip.

Harry asked me if I had seen a reddish egret while I was there but I didn't really know what the bird looked like. I knew I had this pic but I was thinking it was a tri-colored heron. After examining it closer, I'm wondering if this was in fact a Reddish Egret. I'm pretty sure it's not a tri-color as it doesn't have any white.

Anybody know for sure?

[​IMG]

2. Hi Kevin,

It looks like everyone is having a great time on the shoot.

Your photo sure looks like the Reddish Egret (dark morph) in my Sibley book. The dark tip on the beak and minimal red on the wing is differernt than the juvenile Tricolored Heron which otherwise looks similar. I never saw one live to be sure.

Bob

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin

That is a gorgeous image. Congratulations on that one. Beautiful golden light makes it especially special.

That is the Redish Egret !!! He may also be in breeding colors which seem darker than usual. Just guessing on that.

Good job.

4. Very nice Keving this is one bird I did not get to capture while I was down in FLA the last time it is high on my list

5. Thanks, Bob, for the id. I'm still trying to learn the differences in all these bird varieties down here.

6. Thanks, Gale! He was on the back side of Black Point Drive (if you know what I mean) so I was shooting into the sun. The first ones were silhouettes then I managed to sneak around some and fire off a few with him kind of side lit. It was getting close to 7p, the sun was low and starting to hide behind some rain clouds hovering over Orlando.

The darkness could be a result of my curves adjustment. Originally the photo was a little flat so I made some curve adjustments. Maybe I went too far?

7. Thanks, Mike! I'm really enjoying getting out and shooting all these birds. It's kind of funny that we create these "lists" of birds/things to shoot. I've still got a ways to go. Wish you could have joined us. I'd like to meet you as I am appreciative of your work through your postings. (I'd also like to learn some of your pp tricks ;) )

Come down anytime. I'm sure we could round up some folks to keep you entertained.

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shot, Kevin! That's one that's on my list also and I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for posting.

9. Hey Don, thanks for commenting! Too bad you couldn't get down here, too.

I talked to Frank tonight and we're planning on going to the Rookery in St Augustine tomorrow. He said it was really incredible, even in the stormy weather. He spent some time with Birger and Harris. Harris is supposed to join us tomorrow. Hoping we can get together with him on Sat/Sun as well.

Hopefully we'll get some more of these guys and others! :D

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Kevin -

This is a totally gorgeous shot. The way the colors in the water work with the colors in the bird is amazing. This looks backlit but you got the colors and detail in the bird. Were you using a beamer?

Gordon

11. No beamer, Gordon. Don't own one. The initial shots were silhouetted so I kept trying to move around to the side to get him more side lit. This was just about 7p so the partly overcast sky was getting a bit of color. That's the reflection you see in the water. Thanks for the kind words.