Reddish Egret

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Decided at the last minute to go check out Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to see what was happening. More people than birds....very aggravating!! Managed to see a good variety but this one was probably the highlight. According to Mr Behret, the Reddish Egret is very rare with only about 8000 in the US. There are only a couple in this area. These shots are of 2 different birds. It was mid afternoon so the sun wasn't too harsh.

On the hunt
    [​IMG]

Not sure what rattled him but he's got all puffed up
    [​IMG]

Showing his great sense of balance, standing on 1 leg
    [​IMG]

Probably my favorite shot of the day
    [​IMG]

Eating a little fishy. They sure are comical to watch hunting. Prancing all around and using their wings to shade the water. Quite entertaining!
    [​IMG]

Handheld with the 300/f4 + 1.7tc

2. Kevin these are terrific. Have you ever seen them before?

3. Kevin Very nice shots on my top ten list for Merritt this winter

4. Thanks, Jim! Yeah, I saw him back in May but didn't know what it was. I posted it here and Harry informed me of their rarity. They're pretty neat birds. And it's nice to see something different for a change. :wink:

5. That's one of the reasons I went to MINWR today...to see what the activity level is. Lots and lots of shore-type birds. Saw some hooded mergansers but they were too far off. Same with a huge flock of Rosies. Too many people there today to be truly enjoyable but nice nonetheless.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You sneaky devil you :>)))

Nice shots of the redish.

We have a couple out at Viera as well.

It was such a beautiful day, I can imagine folks were out.

7. Nicely done Kevin, the Westie Reddish has returned to Bolsa Chica, I may spend tomorrow looking for him ;)

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Very good Kevin. He's definitely a bird with character. Did you spot any eagles at Merritt?

9. Very well done Kevin.

Louie

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

those are some great shots...

11. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Kevin Lovely series of shots!I never seen this Egret.
    Sharp shots.

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

2nd and 4th shot are just sweet
    and the whole series is great, clarity, sharpness
    Hey you gonna Eagle hunting this weekend ?? :biggrin:

13. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Nicely Done Kevin..Great shots! Ive never seen red ones before,how cool !!

14. Hey Harry. No, didn't see any eagles at MINWR. Saw 6 different Ospreys on the light posts on the way in. Also saw some Osprey flying overhead once inside as well.

15. Ummmm....well....actually I snuck over to Viera yesterday morning to see what I could find before going to Merritt Island. You'll have to keep your eyes open.....:wink:

And, yes, going back to Viera to meet up with "the gang" as Chris is going to be in town.

16. Thanks everyone for the kind words! Glad to post a bird that some people have never seen. Hope everyone has a great weekend shooting!!

17. Great shots - another place I should visit when I,m next in the USA.

18. These are really nice Kevin. I can see why that one is your favorite. And, I'm quite impressed that they are all handheld...

19. Thanks Dave! We really are fortunate to have such an abundance of places to shoot here. Merritt Island is a must visit refuge!

Hi Jim! Had the tripod out for a bit but I'm finding as long as I can keep the shutter speed up I do ok handheld. I trash quite a few shots but the % is getting higher.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, guys!

20. Bumped for Brett's benefit for comparison to his LBH/Reddish Egret debate.