1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

REDDISH Heron?

Discussion in 'Merritt Island I' started by jfenton, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I shot this in one of the back ponds early Saturday morning at Merrit Island in early light...is this a "Reddish Heron"? Is there a real name for this bird?

40224417.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Jim,

We have about worn out the backbone of the Sibley Guide trying to figure all the birds out!

I can get this one down to three choices.

1) Little Blue Heron - dark all over, bluish bill, Greenish legs

2) Reddish Egret (Dark Morph) - Adult should have yellow beak with dark tip, paler overall than Little Blue Heron - Juvenile has blue beak, but very pale body, dark legs

3) Juvenile Tri-colored Heron - Reddish neck, very long bill, Yellow legs.

Without seeing the legs, it is even harder to tell.

My guess is a Little Blue Heron - listed as common in MINWR, while the Reddish Egret is uncommon.

Bob & Nan

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Jim,

I'm pretty sure this picture that I'm posting is a 'Little Blue Heron'... I took it at Corkscrew Swamp in the fall. I don't think it looks like yours---but we need someone who really knows to identify these.

Janet knows and so does Harry..hope they check in on this post.

Gaye

13486369-L.jpg

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I believe that it is a Reddish Egret.

Whatever it is, nice shot.... :p 

Regards,

Frank

5. If it is a Reddish Egret I think it must be a Juvenile since Sibley shows the adult with a real two-tone look of slate grey body and almost pumpkin neck and head. He describes the Juvenile color as pale chalky. There can also be rare intermediates(?)

A look at the legs would really help.

We took this one and I thought it to be a Reddish Egret but the yellow legs made Nan think it a Juvenile Tri-colored Heron, the neck and head looks the same color as Jim's:
    16490987-M.jpg

Gaye, yours is certainly a Little Blue Heron.

Anyone ever seen/photographed an adult Reddish Egret?

Help!
    Bob & Nan

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    This is a Reddish Egret

I found this Reddish Egret at MWR a couple weeks prior to the shoot. The Mirror Image I posted was also a Reddish at the Fla Session.

39773955.gif

View attachment 5650

He also doesnt stalk his prey, from what I saw, He dances all over the place chasing it. Quite a character to watch.

Cheers
    Gale

7. Thanks Gale, this is what I was looking for to match the Sibley drawing.

Light bill with dark tip
    Black legs
    Significant difference in color between head/neck and body. Body light grey, head/neck red-orange.

Based on your photo, I think Jim's bird and the one I photographed is not a Reddish Egret, at least not an adult.

Bob

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Actually, I would rather that the bird I shot wasn't a true reddish heron...they are kinda clutzy looking :) 

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Clutz ????

Who called me a clutz

I'm not a Heron, I am and Egret

39774100.gif

10. Nice reflection......WOW!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.