Redfish Lake Outlet Sunrise

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    We just returned from our vacation. It was interesting there this year. The first couple of days were very smoky from some forest fires in the area. It made for some interesting sunrises and sunsets.

original.

2. One of my favorite places. Isn't it interesting how, as a photographer, you learn to love smoke for what it does for a scene?

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Nick,
    Do you go to Redfish Lake often? We have been there every year since my daughter Jenny was 2. She is now 26.

It is a favorite family place, although so much work to get ready to go. I'm worn out now, that's for sure.

4. From about 1988 through 2002 I lead a gaggle of freshmen students on our annual 2-week field studies trip. We spent 2 days in the Stanley basin/Sun valley area, and camped at Sunny Gulch. We spent a morning with the Forest Service and the private concessionaire's around Red Fish. I'd also get up supper early and make my daily run from camp to Redfish by first light. It was always so peaceful at that time of day/year. I also loved sitting along the creek on a hot day. My son worked at SV for a couple of summers since, so I was back there a couple of years ago. Not quite your record and attachment, but I love the area in May--before it gets run over by people (but then, that's why we created a National Recreation Area!!!--so I'm not complaining!)

5. Terri,

As always, that's a beautiful shot.

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    You just have an eye for a beatiful landscape and the skills to pass it on to your pictures.

7. Beautiful capture Terri. The smoke adds to warmth of sunrise. Glad you had a good trip.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ah, Terri, this is a wonderful photo.

Now I'm going to want to figure out how to sweep through that spot if Alice and I get a vacation this autumn...

John P.

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    wonderful shot and great light, congrats on a super image,

Wade

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Your lucky students. I love the early morning there. You hardly ever see another person.

Thanks, again, Chris.

Thank you, Torben. Not sure how skillful I am, but I keep on learning new things, which is fun.

Brian,
    The smoke was weird. For a couple of days we couldn't see the mountains next to the lake. But, it make for a couple of nice photos.

John,
    Hope you can visit. I've never been there in the fall, but have seen Sawtooth photos from the fall and it is beautiful.

Thanks, Wade.

11. WOW! Lovely captured. We feel your sensibility from your images.
    Regards.
    Rui

12. Bob Mohr

Bob Mohr

Oct 20, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Lovely and sharp, Terri

13. karma2

karma2

Mar 10, 2006
    Idaho
    Terri,

I was just at Redfish Lake Lodge a week or so ago....I hadn't been there in about 12 years and it really has changed! I love what they've done with the beach and docks - very family friendly!

182828941-M.

My husband and I were in Sun Valley for a couple of days and then hiked into Fourth of July Lake. There was a fire in that area in 2005 and there is a lot of burn area prior to getting to the lake.

179675167-M.
    Patterson Peak over Fourth of July Lake

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you Rui. Glad you can feel my emotions through my photos

Bob,
    Thanks so much.

Karma,
    I've never stayed at the lodge. We usually hurry past it on our way to the beach at the Point Campground. Did you enjoy staying at the Lodge? Greg and I are considering it for next year, instead of camping. Not sure I would like being near all the people, though.

Your photo is nice. One of the boys who is working at the boat rental booth on the docks is the best friend of my daughter.

I've never done much back country hiking in the Sawtooths. My husband has, though and thinks it is beautiful. He has been to Imogene Lake (hope I spelled it right) a few times. 4th of July lake looks like it is a beautiful area.

15. karma2

karma2

Mar 10, 2006
    Idaho
    Terri,

We didn't stay at the lodge....just stopped by to see if/how the area had changed. It is probably a little more crowded than I'd like at this point - but looked like fun for the kids!

this was our first hiking trip to that area but I'd like to go back next summer, it really is beautiful.

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Karma,
    Let me know if you find some more great hikes there. Of course, they would need to be fairly easy for me.

Where in Idaho are you from?

17. karma2

karma2

Mar 10, 2006
    Idaho
    I surely will Terri....I just turned 49 so I'm not hiking anything more than 'moderate' myself! I live just outside of Boise....opposite side of the state from you more or less. I think we might try to go back to this area in September if we can work it out so I'll let you know where we hike if that happens!

I sure like your photo galleries! I got my Sigma 10-20 lens because of your photos!! So far I really like it. You're a great inspiration!

18. karma2

karma2

Mar 10, 2006
    Idaho
    Terri,

I was just looking at your gallery of Bryce Canyon....we are heading there this week....I had to laugh - is that a Whi-Bal around your neck in the photo of you?? I was just thinking I better not forget that for our trip!

19. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    That's a real stunner, and I can't wait to see more of your vacation shots. Looks like a real peaceful place.