Redskin's Training Camp - Hazy?

Hello,

Here are a few pics. Help!! The pics are hazy. How can I improve the pics SOOC, ie with little or no PP? I've got an old PC with PSE 7.

Lighting was terrible. Bright, hazy morning sun (0830-1000) directly across the field. I was 40-50 yards away shooting with my D300, 300 f/4 with UV Haze and the 1.7 TC, all shutter-priority, centered weighted metering using a monopod.

All pics are SOOC.

1. Zorn/Campbell. 500mm, ss 1/1000, f/6.7 (wide open), ISO 1250
607873577_G7eSF-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Albert Haynesworth (this guy is BIG). 300mm, ss 1/500, f/4 ISO 250
607873806_fmuCi-L.jpg

3. O-Line. 500mm, ss 1/500 f/6.7, ISO 1600
607874117_cXDAn-L.jpg

Would a CPL work here? As I said, I shot into the rising sun. The crowd was contained to one side of the field. I have other pics but the haze is really disappointing.

I appreciate all comments and suggestions... :smile:

Gene,

Shooting at 500mm, I'm assuming that you were quite far away. Since the haziness isn't consistent in the three photos (the first one being the worst), I'm wondering how much of a role early morning atmospheric haze or light fog played? I often get very similar results when I use a telephoto to shoot distant objects here in Southern California on a hazy/smoggy day. A UV filter helps a little bit, but it won't make a really significant difference.

Gene,

Shooting at 500mm, I'm assuming that you were quite far away. Since the haziness isn't consistent in the three photos (the first one being the worst), I'm wondering how much of a role early morning atmospheric haze or light fog played? I often get very similar results when I use a telephoto to shoot distant objects here in Southern California on a hazy/smoggy day. A UV filter helps a little bit, but it won't make a really significant difference.

Bob,

I was easily 40-50 yards away on the sideline in the crowd, shooting over and in between bobbing heads. I'm just wondering if there are different camera settings I can try to reduce the haze. Thanks.

Increase the shutter speed. You kind of need to under expose to get the haze out, but with it you will inturn possibly not get the faces where you want them. I noticed with shooting with my 1.4x images would seem a little over exposed so I used some ExComp to darken them up a little. Can sometimes work with haze.

Either way you can easily fix it in PP, just some levels and curves tweaks and you'll be all set!

Try increasing the blacks settings until it darkens things up and then adjust the exposure.

I get the same problem when I shoot at certain late afternoon baseball games when the sun is low and I'm basically shooting straight in to it.

Try increasing the blacks settings until it darkens things up and then adjust the exposure.

I get the same problem when I shoot at certain late afternoon baseball games when the sun is low and I'm basically shooting straight in to it.

Mike,

Can you explain the "blacks settings"? Is this in PP? Because of time constraints, an old PC and lack of PP experience and knowledge, I don't do much. I do shoot RAW just in case.

Thanks,
-Gene

Gene - Yes it is in the PP. As long as you have some type of PP tool you should be able to adjust it and clean it up.

Mike

Definitely do some processing. I can't do much with these small files, but here you can see what is possible.

610988791_VzYm6-M.jpg

610988825_y2XLu-M.jpg

Definitely do some processing. I can't do much with these small files, but here you can see what is possible.

610988791_VzYm6-M.jpg

610988825_y2XLu-M.jpg

Dave,

Thanks!! The Zorn/Campbell pic is 1000% improvement. What did you do? I uses PSE v7?

Some minor post processing would definitely improve these images.

If you have photoshop, just play with the levels a bit.

I did this with a slight crop and a little adjusting in the curves:

editr.jpg

3802325350_22bc5351ac.png

I don't use PS but I love Lightroom. All I did was import it and select auto tone in the develop module. This took literally one second to hit the button.

If you don't use Lightroom, download a demo. It's a great program for those of us who don't need the photo editing power of Photoshop.

Your boka and results show me that your UV is CRAP

mine was doing the same thing.... do some test shoots with it on and off, i bet you'll be surprised

as an example

uv filter on
DSC_3013o.jpg

and off noicte with it one it looks like your boka does and much better with it off
DSC_3012w.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom