Redtail Hawk finally

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jryoung1947, May 22, 2007.

1. I threw the new D200 in the car with my 300f4. Nothing fancy here as I had no tripod but fun. I went into the bird shelter and took a few quick shoots and when I came out I heard a Robin screaming. On the top of a large three story barn sat this hawk.

509443821_d3eb2bb05b_b.

I took a few shots and went back to my car. He flew after me landed on a porch railing and began grooming.

509443713_5387ab29f5_b.

2. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Absolutely beautiful bird. Great picture.

3. Great job with the exposure on these shots.

Louie

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beasutiful shots
    Bird is a beauty

5. Great Bird captured well

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Never had a hawk to actually come closer to me! Well done!

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow...how did you get so close to this guy? Nice shooting John.

8. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Great shooting John. The 300 is treating you well.

9. Just luck, as soon as I saw him I snapped away then slowly walked over closer. I was about 80 feet at the closest. Really too funny. First I am delighted to snap away at something I've seen but had no good shots. Then I get totally tired and look for more song birds and he just followed me over. The robins were making a racket but the hawk payed no attention.

Thanks to all for the comments and chris_b for the lens :smile:

10. OUCH Mr. Red Tail watch where your putting those talons. That's a lighting rod wire you roosting on. Good the sun was shineing. Nice job John now what about the robin???:biggrin::biggrin:
    Lou

11. :smile: I was so happy to see the Hawk that I didn't risk walking away to get them both in.

510834871_b1f7e6b35a.

12. Very Nice I love it.

13. RandyB

RandyB Guest

Very nice.

14. LOL I had a couple of PM's on this non-hawk-like behavior I did some detective work. This is a female (I believe) that was received for treatment at the center. She leaves for weeks at a time then comes back checking out her old digs. I just happened to be there during one of her visits. The center may use a shot or two of mine for their brochures. The other contributor is a fellow shooting Canon with a massive 600mm and Beamer with a huge Gitzo. He saw my hawk shot and the local ranger pointed out it was done in cutoffs and crocs with a 300mm handheld. He did say I am quite a sight. :eek: 

15. Now thats a hoot, or should we say a screak.

Nice shots there John. Good exposure.

16. Great shots!

I've seen two recently; one buzzing around work, and I had my camera in the car....but I'd be instantly unemployed if I pulled the camera out :(  The second was on the freeway, and my camera was at home :( 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.