Reflections on Distorted Reflections...

Just messing around with micro and product-ish type photos, and happened to notice the patterns in a mug as I was drying it off...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just changing the position of the lighting changed the look of the photos...

I'm not too familiar with art forms and their terminology - would this be considered abstract?

If I do the mug again I need to work harder on centering everything (it's a bit off). Also need to do a better job controlling the area much further away from the table. (I cannot figure out what some of the reflections are in the left of the photo...)

Comments and critiques are always welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
Al, Steve, Peter - Thanks!

And Peter, I liked the B&W much better. But I think the color versions would have been more interesting if I had used some colored lighting or maybe had some brightly colored object on the other side of the mug. May be experimenting a bit with this... :biggrin:

I think #2 has a lot of nice details. I would do more pp, boots contrast, shadow/highlight, and selective dodging and burning.

Tri:smile:

The second one at a quick glance almost looks like crystal glasses upside down. Nice abstract effect!
Thanks! It took me a bit to see what you were talking about :)confused:) but when I did, the same pattern is repeated front, back and upside down. Pretty cool visual, and completely unplanned.

I think #2 has a lot of nice details. I would do more pp, boots contrast, shadow/highlight, and selective dodging and burning.

Tri:smile:
These are just odd "enough" that I doubt I'll be able to resist playing with them a bit in post... :biggrin: hopefully I'll come up with something neat.

Interesting patterns!
I prefer the 2nd one as well: the patterns are better revealed.
Thanks!

Couldn't resist playing with the mug again tonight... made some changes based on the preference for more detail and Tri's suggestions to do more PP.

As for Peter's question about liking the color version, I posted some slightly different color images in the Abstract Image thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=251104&page=2

Changed the background, DOF, focal point, tweaked the brightness and contrast, and cropped a bit differently.

Hopefully a bit more interesting an image?

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. Love the pattern and texture.
I prefer the B&W over the colour version. The second image in the abstract thread however, brings something extra with the prismatic light. I guess that would be difficult to keep in a B&W conversion.

Great. Love the pattern and texture.
I prefer the B&W over the colour version. The second image in the abstract thread however, brings something extra with the prismatic light. I guess that would be difficult to keep in a B&W conversion.
Thanks Bart! That image you mention in the other thread was made with a DVD case behind the mug. Was looking for something colorful and saw light reflecting off my DVDs. That prismatic effect is on the case art.

It's cool to experiment like this. Very nice.
Thanks Alan!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom