Reflector shopping...advise?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by LindaZ, Aug 22, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I recently used my golden reflector for two sessions, and I liked the results, except that they of course were very yellow.

I think I'd like more reflectors, in silver and white, do anyone have one to recommend? A stand for it is a requirement too.

Thanks,

2. How about taking a look at the 5-in-1 reflectors? Then you'd have whatever you need. There are several brands. Lastolite, Norman, Hensel, and Photoflex all make them.
    Good luck!

3. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Brian! 5 in 1 sounds very practical.

4. Linda, I went to a one day seminar given by Fuzzy Duenkel, and I was amazed by his work, he truly is a master of available light and portraits. He wasn't happy with any commercially available reflectors, so he made his own. He sells the parts kit to make the same one he uses. It is free standing, with different colors, and it really was remarkable when he showed examples of how he put it to work. Anyway, sounds like a commercial for this guy, but really, the proof was in the pudding for me. If I get to the point where I want a reflector, I'll be getting his kit.

http://www.duenkel.com/for_professionals.html Take a look around his site, some magnificent work.

5. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Rodney, you are a endless source of information. Thanks

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Look for one that has the "soft gold" cover - they have white interlaced with the gold. These provide a nice warming effect without the more garish look of all-gold.

7. You are welcome! His is cool, because it has the white side, which is good for bright days, and the silver side which he uses on gloomy days. He even showed how he used them for indoor portraits. He would aim the silver side from OUTSIDE, toward the window that was going to provide the indoor room light. Then he hung a sheet inside the window to soften the light, pretty cool idea.

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Garish is right, I had to tone down the effect in Photoshop quite a bit. I think I'll get the 5 in 1 just because of all the different types.

His is a little expensive though! And I would have to spend 2 hours putting it together? Not sure that's for me at this point, but I think it does look pretty neat.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I really like the Lastolite Tri-Grip reflector. It comes 5-in-1 with soft gold and soft silver, and is easy to hold with one hand. Many of the 5-in-1's come with White, Silver, Gold, Black and Diffusor.

10. That's true Linda, it is a bit pricey. I think it replaces a few things, though so the cost may not be as high as it seems. To me the biggest advantage is the free standing nature. No assistant needed.

Get your husband to put it together! LOL

Let us know what you end up getting and how it works for you.

11. Hubby has a Ph.D.--you know how useless that makes him!!!! Besides, Swedes have that "Ikea Gene"-- they have an innate ability to assemble things!!!

(PS: So do I, so this obviously is a joke!!!!
    :biggrin::biggrin:) 

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    lmbo...you guys are hilarious. Well, actually he "only" has a Master and it's true, I AM the better engineer in the family but not the will or the time!

13. Well, he WILL get that Ph.D.-trust me on this!!!!!!

14. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    What, are you psychic or something? He's moving on to actually work finally....like after 8 years in school.

15. Sounds like the story of my life--2 Masters and then . . . . .:eek: 

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    then what?

17. Got the Ph.D. bug late in life--finished when I was 42. My wife continued my tradition, got hers at 50!

Ah, but life is good for us late bloomers!

18. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    That's cool Nick. 42 isn't so late anymore, although a lot of my friends have a PhD and they're in their late 20's. (younger than me)

19. No wonder we get along so well :biggrin:

20. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    haha... you mean being surrounded by younger and smarter people than us??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.