Reflector

I am shooting an informal wedding in a house in August. I went there the other day to do some test shots, and I think a reflector will be a great help for the shots that the couple want taken on the stairs in the main hallway. I have a friend coming to assist. I don't have a reflector yet, although getting one has been on my list for a while.

Can I have recommendations on which brands are good. My photography teacher had one that was gold on one side, silver on the other, and then the case was black and the inside was white, so it could be used any one of 4 different ways. Is that what I would need or is the white enough?

I want to get it asap so I can play around with it before the big day :) I do have access to the house so I can go over there a few times to make sure I'll get it right on the big day :)

I'll be using an SB-600.

Thanks,
Carole

Thanks, Gordon.

I just took a quick look at your site. I LOVE infrared. Where do you get it processed? I used to have a place in NYC when I lived there, but now I'm in a small town in Washington so I need a place to send it.

Carole

Thanks, Gordon.

I just took a quick look at your site. I LOVE infrared. Where do you get it processed? I used to have a place in NYC when I lived there, but now I'm in a small town in Washington so I need a place to send it.

Carole
All of my Infrared shots were taken with a LifePixel modified DSLR so my "processing" is done in Photoshop by me. Thanks for the compliment Carole.

I like the Lastolite Tri-Grip. It comes as a 5 in 1 kit also, which is much more useful than white alone. Get one with a soft gold surface - better than all gold IMO.

Thanks, guys!

Yes, one of the things I'm looking at are the colors and trying to decide exactly what I'd need. The wedding is in an old house (over 100 years old) and the staircase is in an area that doesn't have a lot of lighting.

I'm also trying to decide which are the best colors. I think I'd like a 5 in 1, just in case I need it for the future as I recently watched a video where the photographer was using one for his nature shots. So I'd like to explore that as well.

Carole

It's not so much what 'colors' you will need. As a reflector, you are likely to use white, silver, gold or 'soft' combos. The black is used to flag, or block light, and the unit without a cover on serves as a diffusor. This is useful for diffusing direct sunlight, or firing flash through to diffuse and soften the light.

what specific size for for specific shoots or task? like the small one - maybe 22 inches round for headshots? what about other sizes ?

That's also in my thoughts, Raphael. I've been looking on the net and have seen all sizes and shapes. Some are round, some oval, and some triangular. I'm leaning towards a 5 in 1, but can't find one with soft gold as John suggested. They all just say "gold". I don't have a huge budget since I live on social security disability, so I have to do much thinking before buying :880:

Carole

There are a bunch of cheap 5 in 1s on ebay,
I saw those and was wondering if they are any good. I noticed that some of them ship from Hong Kong, some from China, but there are a few from the US. I'd prefer to stay with a US seller. I'm just wondering about the quality.

Carole

Congrats! I wish the Bellingham Camera Club was like yours. Ours is boring. I'm looking around for another group to join. I might take a hike up to Vancouver, BC if the gas prices go down :)

Carole

jfrancis,
im fom sebring florida and i am a beginner wanting to learn more . il swing by your site later.

carole i got some info but they are just guidelines for reflectors:

The 12" reflector is perfect for adding light when working with small objects and tabletop, or for macro photography.
· The 20" gives just a bit of extra light where needed, such as under the chin.
· The 30" is popular for its size and for general use.
· The 38" is great for head and shoulder shots.
· The 48" is for larger product work or three-quarter length portraits.
· The 4ft x 6ft reflector is fantastic for full length portraiture, wedding and fashion photography even for large industrial subjects and video work.

L

Logo

Congrats! I wish the Bellingham Camera Club was like yours. Ours is boring. I'm looking around for another group to join. I might take a hike up to Vancouver, BC if the gas prices go down :)

Carole
Hey Carole,

The gas prices went down last year...! Did you on that trip?

Logo

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw those and was wondering if they are any good. I noticed that some of them ship from Hong Kong, some from China, but there are a few from the US. I'd prefer to stay with a US seller. I'm just wondering about the quality.

Carole
The quality is actually pretty decent. I have had one for about 2 years now and a friend of mine just bought one as well. For $20 it's a really worth a lot more.

Get a Lastolite - they last for years, mine is at least 20 years old and is still virtually perfect.

The most versatile is the double sided - white / sunlight (a gold mix) The plain old round ones, you don't need anything fancy. Get someone to hold it for you - money well spent. You can also use it to bounce flash off don't forget. Bigger light source, softer light and if you use the sunlight side it warms it up.

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Get a Lastolite - they last for years, mine is at least 20 years old and is still virtually perfect.

The most versatile is the double sided - white / sunlight (a gold mix) The plain old round ones, you don't need anything fancy. Get someone to hold it for you - money well spent. You can also use it to bounce flash off don't forget. Bigger light source, softer light and if you use the sunlight side it warms it up.
+1 for Lastolite reflectors. The round ones are good, the Trigrips are great!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom