1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Refreshing

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by ERAUGrad04, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Not quite sure what forum this should be under, so lets try this one! :smile:

Nikon D40x 50mm 1.4 ISO 100 1/200sec f/11 Flash manual 1/8power off camera

Berry.
    NIKON D40X    ---    50mm    f/11.0    1/200s    ISO 100

Thanks for looking!
    Morgan

2. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Wow!! That is amazing - how'd you do that??

3. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Well, for starters, the reason the glass is full of marbles is because that is what we started with trying to achieve the splash. Once we ran out of marbles, I thought that the strawberry was bigger and would look better splashing into the water. So we left the marbles in the glass for more of an artsy feel. :smile:

The camera/SU-800 were mounted on a tripod and the flash mounted to a flash stand. If you were to look down on the setup, the camera was a the 6 o'clock position and the flash at the 1-2 o'clock position. I set the SU-800 to manual at 1/8th power. To achieve the frozen look, I made sure we were working in a dark room so that no ambient light can contribute to the image. In just a flash illuminated photo, the shutter speed has no impact on exposure(other than if there were ambient light). So with just the flash illuminating at 1/8th power, I had illumination for something less that 1/10000 of a sec(yes that is 1/10,000), since that is the duration of the flash.

This was my first time trying this setup and it is quite easy to achive. The hard part is getting the shutter open at the right time!

Morgan

4. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Well, Morgan -

You did a fantastic job. I like the fact you used the strawberry - for me, it provides visual interest with the pop of color in an otherwise neutral colored scene.

I'm going to try this tomorrow with the tips you shared. The setup doesn't sound too hard and I have just the space at home that I can use. Wish me luck!!

And again - great job and thanks for sharing!!

5. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Good luck! My wife and I sure had a fun time doing this. Just make sure you have plenty of towels!

Morgan

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Very nicely done Morgan, it sounds like it took a lot of effort and patience but the result was certainly worth it

7. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Morgan

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Morgan

Great creative shot! And thanks for the set up info!

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Fantastic! I have never seen anything like it. Great job!

10. wow....
    i like this one a lot
    thanks for sharing it with us

11. Nice freezing of action image. Well done.

12. giletti

giletti

Jan 12, 2008
    Victoria, BC
    Cool :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.