Refurb from Nikon. Already with oil spots!!

So disappointed... I just got this thing last week, and already having issues.

I am shooting a wedding tomorrow, obviously don't have time to send it off to get it cleaned, or time to order any cleaning kits online.

What are my options at this point? See below for example of spots...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Look for a local camera repair shop that is Nikon authorized. Drive over there and they should be able to clean the sensor while you wait.

Looks like there is one in downtown Pittsburgh (not sure if it is Nikon authorized though):
http://www.camerarepairservice.com/serviceinfo.htm

Call and see what they charge and see if they can do it while you wait.
Thanks for the link... They charge $120 for anything on the body. Sound reasonable? (Never had this done outside of nikon)

Not sure if they can help, but you could also try:

Bernie's Photo Center, 525 E Ohio St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, (412) 231-1718

Located on the Northside, not far from PNC park. I've not been there for a while, but they were pretty well stocked. I'd be surprised if they did not have rocket blowers (or an equivalent brand blower) and cleaning kits available. Explain your problem and maybe they can clean it for you in time.

If you have to do it yourself, there are plenty of videos available on youtube to show how; it's not that difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure if they can help, but you could also try:

Bernie's Photo Center, 525 E Ohio St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, (412) 231-1718

Located on the Northside, not far from PNC park. I've not been there for a while, but they were pretty well stocked. I'd be surprised if they did not have rocket blowers (or an equivalent brand blower) and cleaning kits available. Explain your problem and maybe they can clean it for you in time.

If you have to do it yourself, there are plenty of videos available on youtube to show how; it's not that difficult.
Yeah I called them and they actually do have rocket blowers. I just HATE giving them my business. Every time I have been in there they are rude, and items are overpriced. Now that ritz went out of business they are the only camera store in town so I really have no choice.

Thanks for the link... They charge $120 for anything on the body. Sound reasonable? (Never had this done outside of nikon)
Yeah I called them and they actually do have rocket blowers. I just HATE giving them my business. Every time I have been in there they are rude, and items are overpriced. Now that ritz went out of business they are the only camera store in town so I really have no choice.
Sounds like you don't have much choice with a wedding tomorrow. You either pay 120 to have it cleaned at the place downtown (seems high; Vantuils here in Meadville charges $50 to wet clean the sensor) or you buy a rocket blower and cleaning kit and try it yourself.

Best of luck to you. Let us know what you end up doing.

There's no guarantee that a rocket blower will clean those up, especially if they're oil.

Those spots don't look too bad. Personally I wouldn't mess with the camera until after the wedding is over. Try to shoot at a larger aperture and pray that the spots don't show up. Hopefully you don't have to stop down higher than f/8, but if you do, just remove the spots in Lightroom. I would just deal with the cleaning after the wedding when you have plenty of time and have the right tools. The last thing you want is break something before the big day.

I think your best bet is to bite the bullet and buy a new camera (non D600) for the event and then return the refurb promptly before the time limit and/or shutter click limit runs out. By the appearance of your sample image it looks a lot like one of the oil spot bodies that keeps throwing spots at an alarming rate. You can clean the sensor and hope you're able to scrub off the oil, but I suspect they will appear immediately and by 500 shots the sensor will look like it does now. You can use the dust off reference tool, but probably will have to take several reference images during the course of the event. I can quite literally wet-clean mine"spotless", shoot for the afternoon and view the sensor with 100 or more spots ranging from barely visible to clear crisp dark black blobs of varying shapes.

I think your best bet is to bite the bullet and buy a new camera (non D600) for the event and then return the refurb promptly before the time limit and/or shutter click limit runs out. By the appearance of your sample image it looks a lot like one of the oil spot bodies that keeps throwing spots at an alarming rate. You can clean the sensor and hope you're able to scrub off the oil, but I suspect they will appear immediately and by 500 shots the sensor will look like it does now. You can use the dust off reference tool, but probably will have to take several reference images during the course of the event. I can quite literally wet-clean mine"spotless", shoot for the afternoon and view the sensor with 100 or more spots ranging from barely visible to clear crisp dark black blobs of varying shapes.
Hope my luck is better. I have a D600 coming next week.

FWIW my sensor looked pretty bady, but a good blow cleand up 90% of the spots, then with more shots it got bad enough I had to go the wetclean route.

Good luck

Again, its important to keep in mind that a refurbished unit does not imply that the camera has gone through a thorough inspection and Nikon has eliminated the problems. Most of the time its a return unit, that Nikon simply reboxes in a refurbished box and res-sells. Most of the folks dont even bother checking everything and they are happy with the discount. Same applies to the refurbished D800 bodies.

Its disappointing the way Nikon handles this, but as long s customers keep buying it and Nikon keeps making money, they are not going to change the practice.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom