Reincarnation?

My neighbor, Henry, is a retired Air Force Colonel who loves walking his dog, Baron, with the leash in one
hand and a beer in the other. I've been trying to catch a good a picture of Baron for quite a while, and
finally grabbed this snap just before Christmas.

40462400.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Good thing I did, because Baron passed on in late January at the age of 11. Henry loved the picture,
and had me make some large prints as a rememberance. His wife told me that Henry had problems
walking around the neighborhood afterwards. Folks would come out to give their condolences, and
Henry would come home weeping.

I was surprised to get a call from Henry today, asking me to come over and bring my camera. His wife
contacted the breeder who had sold them Baron, and bought Henry a puppy with the same set of genes.

View attachment 5896
View attachment 5897

Baron II, as he's been named, is a sweetie. He's 3 months old, and will have the bandages removed
from his clipped ears next Wednesday. I'll try to show more pictures of him as he grows.

They're nicely done shots Frank, although I have a serious problem with ears being clipped. It's nothing short of barbaric. Not that that is your fault of course and you have taken some lovely shots here.

Neil

Excellent shots Frank, I totally agree with Neil about the "surgical interventions" on animals just to satisfy a common (?) belief or perception of beauty... as if mother nature didn't know...

Baron II looks very cute and I'm sure he will bring back the smile to your friend -in time...

Neil, I have the same problem with ear clipping, and an even bigger one with and tail clipping. Unfortunately,
it's the standard for the breed, and the operations are routinely performed by the breeders before
the poor creatures are ever sold. But it's still a precious little being, and I did my best to portray it as such.

Panos Kazanelis said:
Baron II looks very cute and I'm sure he will bring back the smile to your friend -in time...

He already has, Panos.

40473167.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These are very nice pictures and a great memory of Baron for your friend... I can't stand the clipping either, but that Baron II pup sure looks like a keeper, and what a precious smile he's brought up on Harry's face! :p

Very cool

nice capture and great story, sort ofsouns like Jarrells situation when he got Hannah just no help from the Dpreviewrs

UncleFrank said:
Neil, I have the same problem with ear clipping, and an even bigger one with and tail clipping. Unfortunately,
it's the standard for the breed, and the operations are routinely performed by the breeders before
the poor creatures are ever sold. But it's still a precious little being, and I did my best to portray it as such.

I agree Frank, and you've done a great job portraying a lovely little dog. I hope I didn't come across as being too churlish as that wasn't my intention. If anything, your portrayal of the pup in bandages becomes a useful documentation of the things people do. At the same time of course, you've captured some lovely memories for Henry.

Neil

Re clipped ears Neil

First off, I want to say great shots, Frank. I'll bet Henry feels like a kid again, and his sorry over his 1st Baron dying is becoming a fading memory.

But Neil, I'm wrestling with this same problem right now, as the pup I'll get in about another month, a Brussels Griffon, can have it's ears clipped or not have them done. They actually show them both ways. I can't decide right now. But, what I wanted to ask you was how do you feel about clipping a dog's tail? Is that ok? And if so, why is the tail ok to clip, but not the ears? They're both made of cartilage.
NeilCam said:
They're nicely done shots Frank, although I have a serious problem with ears being clipped. It's nothing short of barbaric. Not that that is your fault of course and you have taken some lovely shots here.

Neil

My opinion Steve - neither is okay. There's no reason other than human vanity to undertake those sorts of operation with any animal. There is zero benefit to the animal. Some countries in the world, rightly, ban such operations.

Would you like to have the top 1/2 inch or your ear cut off? It's also only cartlidge (and blood vessels and skin and, most of all, nerves).

Neil

To UF,

Great shots of a really cute dog, and a happy owner. Janie and I lost three very beloved old kitties a few years ago, and after a few weeks of grieving, we got the two babies that we have now (Pumpkin and Jackson), and while they didn't 'replace' the old babies, they definitely brought joy back to our home. :wink:

To Steve,

I know how hard it was on you to loose you doggie recently, and I can't wait to see the new guy. If my input means anything, I say don't clip.... :?

Regards to all,

Frank

Latest threads

Top Bottom