Reliable transportation???

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by daodang, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Between animals and machines, which one is more reliable with time?

Critiques and comments are welcome.

2. excellent touch!

3. Nice catch. Excellent B&W and smooth gradient.

4. Very well done Dao and the bike does stand out.

5. Dave, Christian and Gordon.

Thanks for the comments. Glad you appreciated it.

6. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Nice photo, the bike wheel would get lost without the nice touch you added to the photo. Thanks for sharing.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dao,
    Marvelous image. Love the wheel :>)))

I think your imagination has not gone anywhere :>_)) Your vision is fine

8. That's so cool, I love this image.

I grew up on a farm and we actually did have an old tricycle wheel welded to a gatepost believe it or not for a few years...

The technique used for accentuating the point of interest is very neat, I would like to learn how to do this...

-Brett

9. Ron, thanks for the good words.

10. Gale, I think sometimes my vision is conditioned by my «conflicting» profession :smile: . On one hand, the engineer is attracted by the technologies and loves to play with machines (especially if it's a D2X :biggrin: :biggrin: ). On the other hand, the environmental consciousness just tell me : look around you, do you see what your loving machines have become after doing all the harms to the environment.
    Kind regards, my friend.

11. Hi Brett,

thanks for the appreciation.

About the technique, it's not very difficult to do in Photoshop. This is what I have done with the posted picture. After opening it in PS,

1.- I duplicate the original layer (the one named Background in PS)
    2.- After selecting the duplicated layer, I convert it into B&W using the Hue/Saturation adjustment (Image>Adjustment>Hue/Saturation). To desaturate the image, first I slide the Saturation slider all the way to the left (the saturation reading should read -100) while in Global mode (Global in the Modify window). Then I play with the luminosity sliders of the colors to achieve the image's tonal gradation I want.
    3.- (this is the trick) I create a fusion mask for the duplicated layer by clicking on the 2nd icon from the left at the bottom of the layers menu (the one picturing by a black rectangle with a white circle inside). The fusion mask will appear as a WHITE rectangle on the right side of the picture icon in the duplicated layer.
    4.- Then, I select the fusion mask and use a brush to paint BLACK over the bicycle part. By painting over the bicycle part, I makes it transparent in the duplicated layer and hence let its counterpart in the original picture shown up.
    5.- Finally, I oversaturate the bicycle colors (mostly the red) to make it the point of interest.

I don't know if my explanation is clear enough. If you have any question, I will gladly answer.

Kind regards.

12. Dao, thanks for taking the time to type that out. I will play this week with the methods you shared!!

Great image once again, I pointed my father to this thread and he called me to tell me how neat it was to see your image.

13. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Nice shot,b/w works very well here.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Dao,
    I appreciate you tutorial. I have been wanting to do this.
    Your so Kind. :>))
    My Friend