Remains in the woods

Hello.

Not far away from my home (approx. 90 miles) there is a beautiful region in Germany called "Eifel". It has lots of hills and woods, small valleys and nice tiny lakes.

A few centuries ago, tens of thousands of soldiers have to die here, because some reckless politicians meant it would be a great idea to start a war. This last line of defense was known as "Westwall" or "Siegfried line". A lot of victims on both sides, shortly before the war ended.

Now there are still remains in the woods and on the fields. Fortunately, a lot of them are meeting places for the older generations of many countries involved, which prevents to let this happen again.

Remarks are always welcome.

Regards

Mattes

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 95820

Last edited by a moderator:
A van, down by the river (in the SW Chicago 'burbs
Nice dragon's teeth but . . .

Hello.

A few centuries ago, tens of thousands of soldiers have to die here, because some reckless politicians meant it would be a great idea to start a war. This last line of defense was known as "Westwall" or "Siegfried line". A lot of victims on both sides, shortly before the war ended.
. . . the Siegfried line was actually constructed just before the second world war, IIRC (so something more like 70 years ago),

When I was stationed in Germany years ago I ran into a lot of different concrete structures and bunkers abandoned in the woods, reminders of a terrible time in human history to be sure, but interesting none the less.

Greg

Latest posts

Top Bottom