Remains in the woods

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Mattes, May 16, 2007.

1. Hello.

Not far away from my home (approx. 90 miles) there is a beautiful region in Germany called "Eifel". It has lots of hills and woods, small valleys and nice tiny lakes.

A few centuries ago, tens of thousands of soldiers have to die here, because some reckless politicians meant it would be a great idea to start a war. This last line of defense was known as "Westwall" or "Siegfried line". A lot of victims on both sides, shortly before the war ended.

Now there are still remains in the woods and on the fields. Fortunately, a lot of them are meeting places for the older generations of many countries involved, which prevents to let this happen again.

Remarks are always welcome.

Regards

Mattes

View attachment 95820

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  2. Excellent captures Mattes... I am glad they left them in place as a reminder.

3. Trey USAF

Trey USAF Guest

Nice shots Mattes. Thx.

4. Nice dragon's teeth but . . .

. . . the Siegfried line was actually constructed just before the second world war, IIRC (so something more like 70 years ago),

When I was stationed in Germany years ago I ran into a lot of different concrete structures and bunkers abandoned in the woods, reminders of a terrible time in human history to be sure, but interesting none the less.

Greg

5. I am always fascinated by stuff like this, thank you for sharing!! :smile: