Remember the Mushrooms? (another new pic added 9-27...see last post)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry Lavo, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Remember the three generations of mushrooms I showed here two months ago? Well, after no activity during those two months, a new crop of three nearly identical cousins is emerging. Conditions just right, I guess.

original.jpg

It should be quite a show as they spread their umbrellas.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  2. Look forward to the show Harry, but the marks on them, look similar to insect damage on our scrooms. I have never seen marking like that. I am curious to see how they develop.

3. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I'd guess that those are Shaggy Parasols, Macrolepiota rhacodes, and the cracking is a characteristic, rather than damage. Some fungi do seem particularly susceptible to insect damage, usually the tasty ones.

4. Tom, it is supposed to rain here the next three days, so I am not sure the mushrooms will develop normally. I will instead use a shot of the earlier ones to show you what it will look like:

Opening up:
    original.jpg

Fully mature:
    original.jpg

Thanks for the info, Leif. See if the photos added above help confirm or not.

5. Despite the rain, the mushrooms today entered their "full flowering" stage...their most pretty IMO. So, dodging raindrops I took some shots.....here are the three cousins in "full flower":

original.jpg

I think they are beautiful during this short-lived stage. What do you think?

6. jstegman

jstegman

Aug 30, 2008
    Kansas
    You have done a wonderful job, I like 'em. I do agree they make a better photo in full bloom.

Question about your DoF choice. When shooting similar subjects where you have three objects close together and at different ranges, is it a general rule to set DoF more for the middle subject or is this personal preference? You seem to have it set just short of the middle. I personally like it but have seen other focus on the first subject. I am new and still learning so bear with me. :)

7. Thanks, Jack. I have another shot with a narrower depth of field, focused on the middle mushroom. I like this one better....I increaded DOF to f/11 (and perhaps should have gone up to f/13 or f/15) and tried to get the first two in focus. This was tough cause I had to use LiveView and manually focus, looking down on the LCD screen.

This was taken at the 200mm Macro setting of the Sigma 70-300mm. While long macro lenses are wondersful for insect macros, they require very high apertures in order to get any practical depth of field, and of course this costs shutter speed and virtually requires a tripod (these were monopod). Eventually I want to buy the Nikon 105 VR micro in order to get a more reasonable aperture setting and be able to hand-hold. But the coffers have to fill up before I can do that.

8. Thanks. After studying the page you referred, I then looked up Shaggy Parasols, Macrolepiota rhacodes, as Leif had suggested. The two look similar but I think "Macrolepiota procera" has the edge....and to me the biggest factor is size....this type is much larger than the "Shaggy" and these are pretty darn large mushrooms....I'd say perhaps 4" across.

9. And here is where we are at today....

....the three cousins are basically flat, about to go into a concave shape tomorrow or Monday.

original.jpg

Enjoy!

10. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    M. rhacodes is also large, and 6" across is normal. It is a squat species as per your photos. It also has flesh that turns reddish on cutting.

M. procera is usually found in fields, and wood margins, and is usually much taller, with a less shaggy cap surface.

IMO M. rhacodes is slimy and disgusting when cooked whereas M. procera caps are very tasty.

FYI one of the best online popular mushroom guides is "Roger's Mushrooms".