Remember the Woody

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bfjr, Nov 4, 2005.

1. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Duck that is. Well I went back today and shot em up some more. I'll process and post them over weekend if any get past the trash :smile:
    However along with the woodys there's one Mandarin (never seen one till today).

Say hello to Mr. Mandarin
    [​IMG]

Quite a little show off
    [​IMG]

Oh and a sexy little buger too :wink:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
  2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Absolutely magnificent creature Ben, and super job of capturing him! What was he thinking trying to mount another species? :rolleyes:

3. Ben, that first one is outstanding! Gotta find a bigger rock now! :wink:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a gorgeous duck.. Captured fantastic to I must say.

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    WOW, Ben! That's a great capture of a beautiful bird! You have sure found a great spot to shoot!

6. Your great work continues, I am like Kevin here, looking for a big rock :^)

7. Gorgeous duck but I do believe that is a Mandarin duck and not a wood duck, they are just gorgeous

8. Great shots of Mandarin ducks (Aix galericulata) which are closely related to the Wood Duck (Aix sponsa). The mandarin is from China but there are now said to be more feral ones in the UK than wild ones in China.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    More excellent shots Ben. :smile:

I went looking for Wood Ducks yesterday in a place where they have been seen, but alas, not a sign of them. Just have to keep trying I guess. :rolleyes:

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Here share one of mine with you :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

Sorry couldn't resist that one :rolleyes: :wink:

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Steve and thanks
    I don't know, a good time!!! :Shocked: :biggrin:

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hi Kevin
    Just always make sure you got room for me :biggrin: :wink:

13. Wow, what a duck. Neat shot and thanks for posting this beauty.

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Ben, those are wonderful captures of an exquisitely beautiful (if somewhat confused in the last image) bird. Is the Mandarin a regular inhabitant of your area, a migrant or an occasional. Whatever, you were very lucky to see it and very skilled in photographing it.

If I had been lucky enough to take your first image, I would have been severely tempted to use PS to get rid of those branches. No, I flat out would have gotten rid of them. I would be curious to hear reactions from you and anyone else about the ethics of this. To me they detract from the subject and are not a critical part of the environment. And the resulting image should end up on a museum wall.

Gordon

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Gordon, Gordon your forcing me to reply out of turn
    :rolleyes: :biggrin: no problem I'll reply to others shortly.

You were reading my mind I did another version (which I'll post tomorrow) on my other computer and indeed cloned out all distractions.
    I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, to me it looks a little flat.

Originally I left the branches in because I felt it added some depth and framing to the image :confused: However that may be a personnel thing cause I literally had to crawl under them darn things just to get a shot
    :eek: :biggrin: