Remember when traveling was fun? License name Post #15

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I recently "found" some images on my computer from a trip Justin and I made in 1997!!!!!! The images are all scanned slides. I decided to process them and post them on my website even though they are 23 years old and not of the quality I expect of myself these days!

In 1997 we flew to Frankfurt, took the train to Sindelfingen and toured the Mercedes factory. Then we picked up the new car we had ordered from the States and drove to Rothenburg for our first night in Germany! LOL! I think by the time our heads hit the pillows we had been up about 40-50 hours! We then drove down the Romantic Highway to Ludwig's Castles and Hitler's Eagle's Nest.

Germany

Then we visited Salzburg, Melk and Vienna in Austria.

Austria

Then we headed to Prague for about 5 days. HOWEVER, my camera was stolen our last night in Prague!!!! (A Canon Rebel......) I cried for days because they also stole my rolls of exposed slide film. Thus, I came home with very few photos from Prague.

Prague

Justin finally took me to a department store in Dresden so we could buy me another camera!!! We spent a few days in Dresden before driving along the Rhine River visiting castles along the way back to Frankfurt where we dropped off the car and flew home. These last images are in the Germany folder I linked to above. The car was shipped by Mercedes to our local dealer in the States. I came up with the license plate for the car:

80BN 3LS

Figure it out?

Wonderful memories for you and some excellent photos of these beautiful places, Karen. Sorry to hear your camera and precious memories were stolen!

We also drove part of the Romantic Highway and visited Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Heidelburg and also visited Neuschwanstein castle etc, back in 2006. We also visited Europe in 2010 going to Berlin, Switzerland and then a week in the UK and then again in 2013 going to Munich, the Black Forest and then to Strasbourg, Bruges and then 3 weeks in the UK. Each trip we drove taking in the sites as we went.

Can't figure out the number plate, unfortunately.

Last edited:
That's reminiscent of our trip to Europe in 1969, except for the new Benz. We drove a rental Opel. And your pictures are better. We bought a new Minolta SRT101 with a 55mm f/1.8 prime lens at the Wiesbaden PX, and learned how to use it while traveling.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wonderful memories for you and some excellent photos of these beautiful places, Karen. Sorry to hear your camera and precious memories were stolen!

We also drove part of the Romantic Highway and visited Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Heidelburg and also visited Neuschwanstein castle etc, back in 2004. We also visited Europe in 2010 going to Berlin, Switzerland and then a week in the UK and then again in 2013 going to Munich, the Black Forest and then to Strasbourg, Bruges and then 3 weeks in the UK. Each trip we drove taking in the sites as we went.

Can't figure out the number plate, unfortunately.
I'll give others a little time on the license plate. I thought it was soooo obvious.....guess not! LOL! I spent a lot of time in London, and went to Bruge and Paris..... We'd love to go back again.....hopefully before we are too old!
That's reminiscent of our trip to Europe in 1969, except for the new Benz. We drove a rental Opel. And your pictures are better. We bought a new Minolta SRT101 with a 55mm f/1.8 prime lens at the Wiesbaden PX, and learned how to use it while traveling.
Justin spent 3.5-4 years in Germany while in the Army.....so he was my tour guide! And language interpreter! LOL! Guess I should be surprised any of my slides came out reasonable! I used the Nikon scanner and it took me a couple of months to scan all the slides from about 1995 - 2002.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
I need to pull out my slides and scan them, many many of them from Europe in 90, 92, 93, 94

Interesting post, Karen. I'm usually pretty good figuring out the vanity plates but this one has me stumped.

I've got hundreds of slides, negatives, and prints that I need to scan. Used to have a slide/negative scanner that died. A couple of years ago I bought an Epson scanner for scanning the prints. It also has an attachment to do low rez slides/negatives. Scanned a few dozen images but wasn't happy with the quality for the amount of time/effort involved. I think the only way I'll ever get it done is to pay a service to do it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I need to pull out my slides and scan them, many many of them from Europe in 90, 92, 93, 94
Interesting post, Karen. I'm usually pretty good figuring out the vanity plates but this one has me stumped.

I've got hundreds of slides, negatives, and prints that I need to scan. Used to have a slide/negative scanner that died. A couple of years ago I bought an Epson scanner for scanning the prints. It also has an attachment to do low rez slides/negatives. Scanned a few dozen images but wasn't happy with the quality for the amount of time/effort involved. I think the only way I'll ever get it done is to pay a service to do it.
My Nikon scanner did a great job. 4000 dpi. One winter I tackled the project and got it done! Negatives were the WORST! Couldn't tell a thing about them until they were scanned. Then about 80% of the time I'd discover they were worthless!

I think the only way I'll ever get it done is to pay a service to do it.
ScanCafe.com

I used them for about 2000 slides. Great service. I gave them special instructions every time I sent slides (I sent them in about five batches) and they followed the instructions perfectly every time. Immediate and effective response for the two image files they created that were corrupt upon getting them to me. Get your media ready and wait for a sale; they have sales regularly throughout the year.

ScanCafe.com

I used them for about 2000 slides. Great service. I gave them special instructions every time I sent slides (I sent them in about five batches) and they followed the instructions perfectly every time. Immediate and effective response for the two image files they created that were corrupt upon getting them to me. Get your media ready and wait for a sale; they have sales regularly throughout the year.
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
OK guys and gals -

The license plate name is: (drum roll!) .............Autobahn Thrills

Say the numbers 8 and 0 = Eight-O = auto

BN = bahn

3LS = three +L+S

Today was the first day we could fill out that form and it marks the beginning of Phase 1b in Fairfax County. Interesting that you didn't get any sort of confirmation email....
OK guys and gals -

The license plate name is: (drum roll!) .............Autobahn thrills

Say the numbers 8 and 0 = Eight-O = auto

BN = bahn

3LS = three +L+S

I never would have guess it :confused:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
NOT so obvious as was implied.
:p Actually 3LS is not an uncommon abbreviation for "thrills". And a GERMAN car, picked up and driven on GERMAN roads......

Over the years I've had quite a few folks figure it out - without the background story. But hopefully you enjoyed the challenge and respite from talking about COVID all day! LOL!

;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom